Side feeding a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

encoreman

I specified a three phase 225 amp panel interior and indicated I wanted a 125 amp "Main Breaker", I did not specify the enclosure (can) by part number. The electrician installed the interior in a 38 inch panel enclosure instead of a 50 inch panel enclosure. Therefore, there was not room for a "Main Breaker" at the top of the panel. The electrician installed a 125 amp three phase breaker in the interior and I lost six spare breaker positions.

Is it generally accepted practice to install a breaker in the interior instead of using a "Main Breaker"? We are under time constraints and I am tempted to approve this as a "field change" and move on rather than having to change out the enclosure (can).

I would appreciate input from experienced people on this forum!

Jack

raider1

Staff member
Provided that the panel is listed for a 125 amp breaker to be connected to the buss and the breaker meets the requirement of 408.36(D) then it would be code compliant.

408.36(D) Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection
devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are
backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded
supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional
fastener that requires other than a pull to release the
device from the mounting means on the panel.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This seems like a cost effective solution. I just do not have a problem with it unless you need the space for something else. Since you did not specify something specific, you can't really blame the EC for what he installed.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Provided that the panel is listed for a 125 amp breaker to be connected to the buss and the breaker meets the requirement of 408.36(D) then it would be code compliant.

Chris

If this panelboard happened to be the bolton style, do you feel the Retainer would still be required?
The code rule seems to apply to Stabin Type Breakers only.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If this panelboard happened to be the bolton style, do you feel the Retainer would still be required?
The code rule seems to apply to Stabin Type Breakers only.
Additional retention not required for bolt-in breakers.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The OP didnt indicate wether the branch breakers were bolt on or stabin.
Probably stabin since he indicated it took up 6 pole spaces but if not, he would be good to go without the retainer requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.