Egress Requirements if Building has no electrical service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblakey

A customer is putting up a storage building for pontoon boats. It will not have any electrical power. The general contractor believes egress lighting is required. Is it required? And if so, wouldn't the only alternatives would be to either install an electrical service?

Thank you!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unless there is a building code requiring this it is not required. The NEC does not care whether you wire the building.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
A customer is putting up a storage building for pontoon boats. It will not have any electrical power. The general contractor believes egress lighting is required. Is it required? And if so, wouldn't the only alternatives would be to either install an electrical service?

Thank you!
Tell him to put a skylight in.
Is it an enclosed building for commercial purposes?

rblakey

Egress Exception?

Egress Exception?

It is a commercial enclosed building with two exits. My understanding of the International Building Code is that any structure which requires two exits is required to have egress lighting. I haven't found an exception to this...but I may have missed it.

rblakey

Building code requires any building which requires 2 exits also requires egress light

Building code requires any building which requires 2 exits also requires egress light

The IBC requires egress lighting for any building which requires two exits. How would a skylight be helpful?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The IBC requires egress lighting for any building which requires two exits. How would a skylight be helpful?

Why would a detached accessory building require two exits? For that matter, lights?

If it is a commercial building for dry boat storage then it would be classified as an S-1 structure, and the GC would need to worry about more than egress lighting only. If the building is classified as a U structure, two exits are required for more than 49 occupants.

Even if the building is considered an S-1, rather than a U, the code allows one exit for 29 or less occupants.
There are some assumptions that have to be made based on the information given. If the building is classified as an S-1 and the sq. ft. is over certain sizes then there are completely different requirements. Fire alarms being one.

Since the OP didn't mention the building having fire alarms and sprinklers which need electricity, I assumed it was a simple shed (detached structure) to house a boat or two.

If the building is completely enclosed with only one door the answer seems to be common sense or carry a flashlight.

Honestly, the simplest solution would be to call the AHJ and ask.:thumbsup:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It is a commercial enclosed building with two exits. My understanding of the International Building Code is that any structure which requires two exits is required to have egress lighting. I haven't found an exception to this...but I may have missed it.

The IBC requires egress lighting for any building which requires two exits..

Sounds like you answered your own question then...

rblakey

Why would a detached accessory building require two exits? For that matter, lights?

If it is a commercial building for dry boat storage then it would be classified as an S-1 structure, and the GC would need to worry about more than egress lighting only. If the building is classified as a U structure, two exits are required for more than 49 occupants.

Even if the building is considered an S-1, rather than a U, the code allows one exit for 29 or less occupants.
There are some assumptions that have to be made based on the information given. If the building is classified as an S-1 and the sq. ft. is over certain sizes then there are completely different requirements. Fire alarms being one.

Since the OP didn't mention the building having fire alarms and sprinklers which need electricity, I assumed it was a simple shed (detached structure) to house a boat or two.

If the building is completely enclosed with only one door the answer seems to be common sense or carry a flashlight.

Honestly, the simplest solution would be to call the AHJ and ask.:thumbsup:

Thank you for all your help.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The fact that the building has two exits does not imply that it was required to have had two exits. If a person enters that building, whether during the day or at night, they are going to know that there are no lights. So in order to do anything, find anything, clean anything, or remove anything, they are going to have to bring their own light source with them. There is no reason to expect the owner to provide a light source to help them leave the building.

Also, please note that the whole idea of "egress lighting" is that the way out of the building must be illuminated for at least 90 minutes IN THE EVENT OF a loss of utility power. Since the building has no utility power, the entire concept becomes meaningless.

My take on the situation is that no egress lights are required.

broadgage

Here in the UK, rules require that "alternative lighting" be available in most premises in case of "failure of the main lighting"
This is generally understood to mean electric lights worked from batteries, that light automaticly in case of failure of the utility service.
However, electric lighting is not specificly mentioned, only "alternative lighting"

In premises seldom used after dark, IMHO this could mean that anyone entering the premises must have with them a light source and an alternative or standby light source. This could include two flashlights or lanterns, per person.
It is clearly unreasonable to install a permanent lighting system and a permanent alternative lighting system in most smaller or less used premises that dont have utilty power.

In the case of larger premises open to the public, but without utility power, IMHO 2 lighting systems are needed, but they they dont have to be electric.
I have succesfully argued that a single diesel generator and gas lights worked from a propane tank satisfy this requirement.

Regulations in the USA no doubt differ, but you may be able to convince the AHJ that "two lighting systems with no common point of failure" would in practice be safe.

north star

& & &

rblakey,

1st, ...contact the AHJ in which this "Commercial storage bldg." is being
constructed, to discuss illumination & other [ possible ] code
requirements [ RE: Section 1006, `06 IBC ].

2nd, ...just because the bldg. has 2 exits does not necessarily mean
that 2 exits are "required"......This an Occupancy Group design issue.
What is the size of the storage bldg. & how is it classified?

3rd, ...is there a permit for this project?....If there is no permit, that
is a red flag to proceed with caution.

& & &

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I would say this is an S-1 occupancy based on Ch. 10 of IBC. The building could be 14,500 SF before two (2) exits are required. If 2 exits are required, it is my opinion that exit signs and emergency lighting needs to be provided including illumination of exterior landings. The arguement always comes in "if you provide more doors than REGUIRED, do they all count as exit doors". that is up the the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.