AFCI for FCU?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

AFCI for FCU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

I would have to go with Don on this. The outlet is not in the bedroom.

I see the recessed can as being accessible from the bedroom as the socket is available from the room thus afci is required. The socket is the true outlet the JB is just a connection.

Dennis, I am confused-you say you agree with Don and then say AFCI protection is required..I thought Don was saying the opposite.:?

bullheimer

again, whats voltage? 240V i guess you wouldnt have posted.

for a dedicated appliance then not required, at least not here anyway. it is a single recept and notta duplex obviously as well. i live in a place where afci protection is only reqd in bedrooms and those rooms accessible to the master bedroom: closets, bath lights etc. fan would probably be on that circuit anyway so....

Speshulk

I would have to go with Don on this. The outlet is not in the bedroom.

I see the recessed can as being accessible from the bedroom as the socket is available from the room thus afci is required. The socket is the true outlet the JB is just a connection.

Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Wouldn't the entire recessed fixture be considered the "utilization equipment," making the JB the outlet?

wirebender

I would say the lamp is the utilization equipment.

Utilization Equipment. Equipment that utilizes electric
energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating,
lighting, or similar purposes

The fixture does not use energy, IMO.

S'mise

Silly question; What is a Fan Coil? A transformer?

Yes, I think it needs AFCI protection regardless that its in the attic. An arc fault could be located in the wiring above the bedroom.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The fan unit is not what I thought so I change my vote to AFCI required. At least I believe that to be what the CMP would require. Now why is a 240 Unit not required to be afci-- that is another story.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The fan unit is not what I thought so I change my vote to AFCI required. At least I believe that to be what the CMP would require. Now why is a 240 Unit not required to be afci-- that is another story.
It should be because they have two pole AFCI breakers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good point however.....:thumbsup:

S'mise

Can I change my vote?

Can I change my vote?

Thanks for explaining what a fan coil is. Agreed, the outlet is Not actually in the bedroom.
But It seems to me the design of the AFCI breaker is to protect the wiring in the walls/ceiling as well as what gets hooked to the outlet.

Even if not required by the NEC, I always thought that was the intent.

Buck Parrish

Lately, all the ones we have been doing are 2 pole. We wire the outside condensing unit. The hvac guy has some type of souped up cable that is allowed reccessed in walls. So they run the the two pole with the thermostat wires in the same casing. (Inspections and permits)
They have built in fuses in the outside unit.
LG makes a GREAT one. You can barely hear it.
Now I'm not sure about the voltage that allows this/ I assumed it was 240. But hell it might be some sort of DC. or AC below 24 volts. I'm not sure and will be sure to check and let you know.
You know when these first came out people didn't mind noise for cool air conditioning. But they wanted the heat to be silent like they are use to with a central heat system.
But since George mentined outlet, perhaps I'm off base. Or they're using an older type cheap one like in a motel.
That LG has a speed controll on it. When it turns on it powers up slowly as to keep qiuet. If you're on a slab it is definetly a good alternative to central.

kwired

Electron manager
Wouldn't the entire recessed fixture be considered the "utilization equipment," making the JB the outlet?

Kind of makes one think a little, if that is true then AFCI is not going to be required on most recessed lighting because the "outlet" is not in the room that requires AFCI protection. Good luck convincing most inspectors that this is the intent of the rule.

The fixture does not use energy, IMO.
Based on that, the fan coil in the OP doesn't use energy either, just the motor does. The motor is in analogy the same to the fan coil as the lamp is to the luminaire.

Here, if it's 120V and in the required room, it gets AFCI, no exceptions!
Now consider the fact that a recessed light may or may not be "in the room", or even the possibility that the junction box may be the "outlet" and is not "in the room".

Silly question; What is a Fan Coil? A transformer?

Yes, I think it needs AFCI protection regardless that its in the attic. An arc fault could be located in the wiring above the bedroom.
I think your question was answered, about the wiring above the bedroom, wiring not serving the bedroom is not prohibited from being above, below or in the walls of the bedroom and also is not required to be AFCI protected.

I say yes because it is recessed into the ceiling ,Just like a recessed light would be.
I have other comments in this post on that.

It should be because they have two pole AFCI breakers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good point however.....:thumbsup:

Don't think someday this will never be a requirement, it very well may be.

Thanks for explaining what a fan coil is. Agreed, the outlet is Not actually in the bedroom.
But It seems to me the design of the AFCI breaker is to protect the wiring in the walls/ceiling as well as what gets hooked to the outlet.

Even if not required by the NEC, I always thought that was the intent.

A switch is not an outlet, you can have switches in living room, bedroom, etc. on non AFCI protected circuits that operate loads in areas where AFCI protection is not required. A switch for an outdoor light is an example of where this could happen.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Kind of makes one think a little, if that is true then AFCI is not going to be required on most recessed lighting because the "outlet" is not in the room that requires AFCI protection. Good luck convincing most inspectors that this is the intent of the rule. ...
It is my opinion that the code wording does not require AFCI protection for the circuit that serves a recessed lighting fixture. I believe that the code intent is to provided that protection, but the code wording does not reflect that intent.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Here, if it's 120V and in the required room, it gets AFCI, no exceptions!

Now consider the fact that a recessed light may or may not be "in the room", or even the possibility that the junction box may be the "outlet" and is not "in the room".

Well you consider the fact that the inspectors here require it whether I agree or not!:p:)

We don't kick up much fuss here over the AFCI requirements, even some we find questionable, because AFCI is only required in bedrooms and we know it could be worse!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
First of all the code says oulet , the CMP removed the word receptacle outlet.
Not all outlets have receptacles , however all receptacles are outlets.

That being said. Why only outlets in a dwelling within the conditioned space seem to need either afci , GFCI or both but outlets in an attc do not. I suppose a arc will not occur at a attic outlet.
See what we did not know is that ARC's and resulting fires are smart :p and know never to occur in a attic or crawlspace. :rant:

kwired

Electron manager
Well you consider the fact that the inspectors here require it whether I agree or not!:p:)

We don't kick up much fuss here over the AFCI requirements, even some we find questionable, because AFCI is only required in bedrooms and we know it could be worse!

I guess this comes up less often than one might think, put other outlets on the circuit that do require AFCI protection and they are going to be protected anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.