4 pole optional ATS for 2 single phase feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUWired

Can a 4 pole optional ATS be used to transfer 2 single phase feeders with a single generator emergency connection? Should I be looking for simultaneous disconnect for the 2 normal feeder connections? I can not correlate any objections in '08NEC 210, 215, 404, or 702.

I think the code violation could be if a grounded neutral conductor from each normal feeder is ran with each feeder, they would become parallel conductors because of the single generator feeder or connection at the generator source. That would be a 310.4(B) violation. Typically like iwire said you would have problems, the fourth pole is configured as a grounded conductor terminal, the switch would have to be an internaly custom wired unit.

ceb58

I think the code violation could be if a grounded neutral conductor from each normal feeder is ran with each feeder, they would become parallel conductors because of the single generator feeder or connection at the generator source. That would be a 310.4(B) violation. Typically like iwire said you would have problems, the fourth pole is configured as a grounded conductor terminal, the switch would have to be an internaly custom wired unit.
True. A 4 pole ATS would be for a 3 phase load that switches the neutral in the 4th pole. The 4th pole being a make before break switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.