residential panel location

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWork

We are in working in New Jersey on dwellings from the Sandy storm. My question is that the existing panel was located behind the refrigerator they were going to install a new panel in its place. My understanding is that this would not satisfy code because it is not accessible, you do not have 36" clearance in front of it.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I also agree but NJ AHJ may allow it since it was already there and if many of the homeruns are still being used. If it is a total rewire then I would say "no good" also.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's likely OK under the NJ rehabilitation code to go right back in it's existing location even if it's presently not compliant with the NEC.

5:23-6.9(a)24. Newly installed (not replacing an existing device) electrical service equipment, switchboards,
panelboards, motor control centers and other electrical equipment containing overcurrent, switching or
control devices likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized shall
conform with the requirements specified in N.J.A.C. 5:23-6.8, Materials and methods, and, in addition, shall
conform with Sections 110.26 (Space About Electrical Equipment--600 Volts, Nominal or Less), 110.32
(Work Space About Equipment--Over 600 Volts, Nominal), 110.33 (Entrance and Access to Work Space),
404.8 (Accessibility and Grouping) and 408.18 (Clearances), as applicable, of the electrical subcode.
(Electrical)

RICK NAPIER

6.8 (d) Electrical Materials and Methods. The following sections of the electrical subcode (​
N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.16) shall constitute the electrical materials and methods requirements for this subchapter:

1. Section 90.7, entitled "Examination of Equipment for Safety" of the Introduction, Article 90;

2. All of Chapter 1 entitled "General" except Sections 110.8 Wiring Methods, 110.26 Spaces AboutElectrical Equipment (600 Volts, Nominal, or less), 110.32 Work Space About Equipment (over 600 Volts,Nominal) and 110.33 Entrance to Enclosures and Access to Working Space;i. Section 110.32 shall be required for upgrading the complete system or where the voltage is increased;

3. All of Chapter 2 entitled "Wiring and Protection" except Sections 210.11 Branch Circuits Required,
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection, 210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets, 210.60 Guest

Rooms or Guest Suites Dormitories and Similar Occupancies, 210.62 Show Windows, 210.63 Heating, AirConditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet and 210.70 Lighting Outlets Required;

4. All of Chapter 3 entitled "Wiring Methods and Materials";

5. All of Chapter 4, entitled "Equipment for General Use" except Section 404.8 Accessibility andGrouping (switches) and Section 408.18 Clearances (switchboards and panelboards);

6. All of Chapter 5, entitled "Special Occupancies;"

7. All of Chapter 6, entitled "Special Equipment;"i. Section 680.26(B)(2) shall not apply to existing paved surfaces or decks when installing a spa or hottub.

8. All of Chapter 7, entitled "Special Conditions;"and

9. All of Chapter 8 entitled "Communications Systems."

10. Existing working clearances, clear space, access and entrance dimensions to working spaces,illumination, headroom clearances, and location of overcurrent protection devices shall be allowed to remain without modification.

It would not have to be relocated. Note 6.8(d) 2 above excludes 110.26 and further 10 exempts location specifically allowing panels to remain in closets and bathrooms if that is where they were. This applies only to existing installations and not a new building element such as a new subpanel.

Here is a link for the entire Uniform Construction Code. http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/ucc.html

Last edited:

JustWork

panel location

panel location

Not all of the wiring was damaged at the panel location. Conductors entering the top of the panel are ok the ones entering the bottom have been compromised. The panel was exactly behind the refer and the home runs that came into the top came from a side wall, So the homeruns were pulled back to the side wall and the panel is now located in this side wall which is still the space the refer will occupy. All wiring that has been flooded/wet is being changed completely. My concerns are that this panel is or has been moved from the back wall to the side wall only for the reason of not having to rerun all the home runs that enter the top of the panel. I did forget to mention this important part of the question. Trying to get hold of the local inspector has not been all that easy due to the mess they have out here. Im into moving the panel somewhere else but resistance from others is an issue as well as the additional cost associated with it. Thank you.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This might be a silly question but it was not answered. What is on the other side of the wall?

JustWork

panel location

panel location

the outside wall and it was a back to back serviceand the outside walls are concrete block which the original panel was recessed in the block. The side wall is wood framing around an concrete block wall.

north star

# = #

Sounds as though you do not have much of a choice.......Apparently,
it is not required to be moved, ...resistance by others, ...the urgency
of the need, ...costs........Install everything safe and move on!

= # =

Status
Not open for further replies.