NEC 110.26 - Piping through an electrical room

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If a pipe were to start leaking water, the insulation would not stop the water from dripping onto the panel below. No, insulation does not count. What is needed is a drip tray between the pipe and the panel, something that is capable of catching the dripping water and conveying it to a location that is not above any panel.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It can be made out of sheet metal.Like CharlieB said, as long as the dripping water goes somewhere else besides the top of the electrical equipment.

If a pipe were to start leaking water, the insulation would not stop the water from dripping onto the panel below. No, insulation does not count. What is needed is a drip tray between the pipe and the panel, something that is capable of catching the dripping water and conveying it to a location that is not above any panel.

Ok. Those were my thoughts as well. I was just looking for some other's opinion on the matter. Thanks for the help.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Have fun with it, you can also install a rain gutter with a down spout. :lol::lol:
Inspector: What is that rain gutter for?
You: The switchgear is not in a 3R, so just incase it rains inside, i want the the water to me directed away from the enclosure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The leak protection is only required if the piping is installed directly above the electrical equipment. There a not a lot of electrical rooms where you are permitted to install piping directly above the equipment. The piping has to be at least 6' above the top of the equipment and many electrical rooms do not have that much space above the electrical equipment.

The thread title talks about piping passing through the electrical room and implies that the piping may not be directly above the electrical equipment. There are no restrictions on that, other than the 110.26 clearances.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
The leak protection is only required if the piping is installed directly above the electrical equipment. There a not a lot of electrical rooms where you are permitted to install piping directly above the equipment. The piping has to be at least 6' above the top of the equipment and many electrical rooms do not have that much space above the electrical equipment.

The thread title talks about piping passing through the electrical room and implies that the piping may not be directly above the electrical equipment. There are no restrictions on that, other than the 110.26 clearances.

... some of the switch gear rooms I have worked in recently had 30 ft ceilings and had sprinkler systems in them, they where required to install drip pans above the gear to divert water from leaks away from gear. They did what someone had stated, just ran the drip pan to the isle and install a down spout.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... some of the switch gear rooms I have worked in recently had 30 ft ceilings and had sprinkler systems in them, they where required to install drip pans above the gear to divert water from leaks away from gear. They did what someone had stated, just ran the drip pan to the isle and install a down spout.
Yes there are some that tall, but even then the drip pan is only required for piping that is directly above the electrical equipment

kwired

Electron manager
If the liquid is under pressure and a leak develops, who says it just drips? If it sprays, it could go about anywhere.

I have seen more issues with cold pipes and condensation forming on them then dripping, than from leaking pipes.

dicklaxt

I've been in many, many Industrial MCC/Swgr rooms/buildings and only recall one that had any water piping at all and that was a safety shower in a battery room that was remote from the equipment.

Do you all find this water piping happening frequently in residential and commercial complexes? I don't think it is good practice myself.:thumbsdown:

dick

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the liquid is under pressure and a leak develops, who says it just drips? If it sprays, it could go about anywhere.

I have seen more issues with cold pipes and condensation forming on them then dripping, than from leaking pipes.

Isn't every pipe under presssuer? unless of course it is a drain pipe.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
During a risk assessment, of electrical rooms, the 'insurance' expert had no problems with the sprinkler lines in the electrical rooms (in some rooms he wanted more). It appears, In the opinion of the insurance underwriters, sprinkler lines pose an all but infinitesimal risk of dripping, it is extremely more likely the roof will fail.

Drip shield if you want, especially from condensation, but don't sweat about leaks.

iwire

Staff member
Do you all find this water piping happening frequently in residential and commercial complexes?

All the time.

Many commercial places do not have dedicated electrical rooms, usally they are mechanical rooms with other building systems in the same room.

kwired

Electron manager
I've been in many, many Industrial MCC/Swgr rooms/buildings and only recall one that had any water piping at all and that was a safety shower in a battery room that was remote from the equipment.

Do you all find this water piping happening frequently in residential and commercial complexes? I don't think it is good practice myself.:thumbsdown:

dick
If they want to have the modern luxury of electricity, they usually have an interest in running water too;)

All the time.

Many commercial places do not have dedicated electrical rooms, usally they are mechanical rooms with other building systems in the same room.
same with dwellings.

NEC Understanding

NEC Understanding

If i am understanding the code correctly, the drip pan is required for pipes running 6' above the equipment.
Running any other system pipe above the switchboard is not allowed by code, unless the structural ceiling (drop ceiling or GWB is not structural ceiling) does not allow 6' clearance.

Can someone confirm.

kwired

Electron manager
If i am understanding the code correctly, the drip pan is required for pipes running 6' above the equipment.
Running any other system pipe above the switchboard is not allowed by code, unless the structural ceiling (drop ceiling or GWB is not structural ceiling) does not allow 6' clearance.

Can someone confirm.

It doesn't matter if the pipe is 6 feet above or 50 feet above, gravity has a way of making any dripping end up in the same place.

110.26(E) (1)(a) does define "dedicated" space for equipment which is generally no less than 6 feet above the equipment, but there could be systems requiring a "drip pan" located above the dedicated space, again gravity has a way of making the dripping end up on the equipment if it is below the source of the dripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.