only one electrical inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailor

In theory, if an electrical inspector can see ALL electrical connections, while a receptacle,switch,light and even a GFI(which can be tested) is installed and operational, in the rough inspection, while the walls are open, will the present code, as written, allow an inspector to say
a final inspection is not needed, say for a room addition or adding some additional lines.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If by "code," you mean the national electrical code, it is silent on the subject. It does not tell an inspector how to do the job of inspecting, nor does it impose any restrictions on how often an inspection can be required.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
While I feel the rough inspection is the most important, there are some things that can't be checked at that time such as polarity, proper circuit breakers, ie arc faults, gfi's in the correct locations and just an overall completion of the job.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Charlie, the NEC has nothing to do with the inspection process. You need to find the rules in your specific area.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In theory, if an electrical inspector can see ALL electrical connections, while a receptacle,switch,light and even a GFI(which can be tested) is installed and operational, in the rough inspection, while the walls are open, will the present code, as written, allow an inspector to say
a final inspection is not needed, say for a room addition or adding some additional lines.

The job would need to be complete to get a final inspection. It cannot be complete with the walls open.

John120/240

For example you wired a bedroom with a closet & the closet has a fixture box. The location of the fixture may pass with a 12" long

flourscent installed, but fail the distance requirements if a 3 bulb incandenscent fixture is used. 410-8. So how is the inspector

supposed to read the electricians mind ?

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

we do rough ins and finals. i make guys open stuff up its closed before i get a chance to check egc's, bonding etc. i see lots of nitemares, so turn down alot of work the first time 'round.

kwired

Electron manager
Some projects do not have a rough - in stage. Say everything is surface mounted, inspector only comes to do a final inspection in those cases. I run into this a lot with, grain storage facilities, irrigation, some commercial, some industrial type facilities. Exception could be if there is underground wiring that they want to do rough in inspection for.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A service upgrade would be similar with only a final inspection but that too has nothing to do with open walls. :)

Microwatt

Inspections

Inspections

The state I reside only requires one inspection and that is a final. Some cities have their own inspectors and rough-ins are required there but for the most part none are performed. The first house my family lived in was a new twin-home. After living there 6 months there was a knock at the door. It was the inspector there to do the final inspection. I couldn't believe the builder could get a CO without the final being done.

kwired

Electron manager
I am always getting final inspections long after occupation. For single family dwellings, the electrical inspector is about the only AHJ of any kind that ever comes to the site. I get rough in inspections, but final inspections often happen long after owners move in, unless I am on the ball with getting inspector scheduled for a final. But often I am too busy to deal with that and put it off. Usually I end up scheduling a day with inspector to go do final inspection on several jobs in a particular area. Right now I have maybe half dozen projects that are not inspected, some have been done for 6 months or more, but am likely to call for inspection sometime soon and try to get all of them finalized in one day.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
we don't issue the CO until all inspections are completed and passed, and your not supposed to move in 'till you get the CO. but, things are different wherever you go

We do it the same way here, that's why we don't release utilities until CO. Had a builder move 6 families in one time and then told them that it was the cities fault that they didn't have utilities yet. So of course they all start calling and we notify them that they don't have any final inspections. WHAT? We found buried outlets, plumbing that wasn't connected, just all kinds of stupid stuff. We felt pretty bad for these people for getting lied to by their builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.