Service clearance to siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Mansard type roof/siding design change concealed service entrance (conduit) behind the framing. However, is there sufficent clearance at the masthead?
DSCF1307.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't know of any required clearance from the siding, but the location appears to be a violation of 230.9

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I may be missing something in the picture. How is that masthead not leaking water during a rain or snow?

230.26 (which also leads to Auggies 230.9)

What is the tpx attached to? 230.27

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sometimes it's not an NEC issue but a POCO issue. I understand that this might have been a normal installation at the time the house was built. However, the builder who installed this dormer (or add-a-level) created an unsafe situation IMHO. I was not able to copy and paste this sketch from PSE&G but it is on page 104 of this document : http://www.pseg.com/business/builders/new_service/before/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf . It shows their version of how a mast is supposed to be installed with proper clearances.

Hope this helps.

tonype

Sometimes it's not an NEC issue but a POCO issue. I understand that this might have been a normal installation at the time the house was built. However, the builder who installed this dormer (or add-a-level) created an unsafe situation IMHO. I was not able to copy and paste this sketch from PSE&G but it is on page 104 of this document : http://www.pseg.com/business/builders/new_service/before/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf . It shows their version of how a mast is supposed to be installed with proper clearances.

Hope this helps.

Thanx for the reference - excellent document.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yes. The disconnect is not "nearest the point of entrance" of the service conductors. The point of entrance is where the conductors penetrate the exterior surface of the building.

The conductors exit the building appx.60" down, then reenter at another point. Perhaps the disconnect is below the picture at the required height.:lol:

I still would be worried about the water getting into the building, although the entire install is crap.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There is no required height for a disconnect, only that the center of the handle be no higher than 6'7".

I think you know that is what I meant. It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously. I posted my response to don_resqcapt19 because the conductors came out from under the siding again and I hadn't thought about a disconnect on such a crappy job. Once he answered I see his point. It is added to the other violations mentioned.

jumper

I think you know that is what I meant. It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously. I posted my response to don_resqcapt19 because the conductors came out from under the siding again and I hadn't thought about a disconnect on such a crappy job. Once he answered I see his point. It is added to the other violations mentioned.

Oops, sorry. I did not really read response closely. I thought that you knew about discos and was tad confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.