Fire alarm conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

I am installing a horn strobe in a building in a chicago suburb. The building engineer insists that the NFPA requires red conduit for fire alarms. The contractor that I am working for did not send this out and uncolored conduit was used. Does any one know if red conduit is required for fire alarm work. I thought the NEC did not require conduit for this application. The AHJ is out for the holidays and I don't recall this being required through NFPA requirements unless this is required by the municipality where I am working. Can anyone shed some light on what the NFPA requires?

jumper

I am installing a horn strobe in a building in a chicago suburb. The building engineer insists that the NFPA requires red conduit for fire alarms. The contractor that I am working for did not send this out and uncolored conduit was used. Does any one know if red conduit is required for fire alarm work. I thought the NEC did not require conduit for this application. The AHJ is out for the holidays and I don't recall this being required through NFPA requirements unless this is required by the municipality where I am working. Can anyone shed some light on what the NFPA requires?

I always thought red conduit for fire alarm was a spec, not a requirement.

The branch circuit disconnecting means/OCPD for FA needs a red identification. 760.41(B) and 760.121(B).

I also remember something about J-box covers being red, but it eludes me at the moment.

Found it, 760.30, but red is not required, but common.

Last edited:

ceb58

Look at 760.30

mjc1060

Fire alarm splicing

Fire alarm splicing

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on splicing fire alarm conductors. I am referring to splicing conductors in a juntion box. The notification and signalling devices contain no splices but is there any restrictions with the NFPA on this.

jumper

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on splicing fire alarm conductors. I am referring to splicing conductors in a juntion box. The notification and signalling devices contain no splices but is there any restrictions with the NFPA on this.

See 760.41(A) and 760.53(A)(1) for NPLFA circuits, and 760.127 and 760.130(B)(1) for PLFA circuits. NFPA 70/NEC.

I hope I wrote the sections correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.