Transformer clearance / working space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

Working space is required in front of a floor mounted transformer, but are there are working space requirements for the sides of the transformer? There's 6" ventilation requirement as per the manufacturer, so does this mean I can place the back of a transformer 6" from a wall and place the side of the transformer 6" off a wall as well?

cppoly

There's no working space requirements for the primary and secondary conductors that leave the transformer sides though?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There's no working space requirements for the primary and secondary conductors that leave the transformer sides though?

Why are you thinking that you would need working space on the side of a transformer? As Jumper stated there are opinions that 110.26 doesn't apply at all to a transformer installations.

cppoly

Why are you thinking that you would need working space on the side of a transformer? As Jumper stated there are opinions that 110.26 doesn't apply at all to a transformer installations.

For maintenance possibly. Once the transformer is installed in the corner of a room and its back and side are right off the wall, I assume it makes it impossible to work on the secondary side with 6" of clearance. If primary and secondary conductors never need to be worked on, then I can see why you don't need the clearance on the sides. I guess it's not defined in the code

Status
Not open for further replies.