Frequent Interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire_nutz

Does anyone have acceptable & non-acceptable pictures of cord connected equipment?

I am seeing cord connected modine heaters, large circulating water pumps, furnaces, water heaters ect.

Definition for Frequently is: at frequent or short intervals. Synonyms: often, continually, constantly, hourly, repeatedly, over & over, again & again. Antonyms: infrequently, little, rarely, seldom.

Nothing lasts forever and someday will need replacing. Prior to adding this to the NEC, wiring a permanent ceiling mounted modine heater was done using a general purpose single pole switch or motor rated switch depending on the size of the unit and using Greenfield, AC or MC cable for example.

Most of the utilization equipment I am seeing cord on fits the Antonyms definition.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Don't forget, frequent interchange is not the only condition under which these types of equipment are permitted cord connection...

400.7 said:
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent
interchange
(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is
intended or identified for flexible cord connection

Wire_nutz

This small circulating pump has been in place for 7 years and has been running 24 hours a day.

The plumber that installed this pump was not concerned of vibration otherwise a flexible water connection would have been used.

The electrician was not concerned of vibration either; otherwise a connector would have been used.
DSCF0745.JPG
I have seen these small circulating pumps last at least 15-20 years without the need for frequent interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.