575V System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull982

I am working on a system study that has a MCC connected to a transformer secondary that is 3-phase 575V. The MCC is designed for utilization at 575V and all motors are rated for 575V.

This is the first I've come across a 575V system and was curious if others have seen this utilization voltage. I'm in the process of trying to determine wheather the the transformer primary is fed from the utility or if it is fed from the facilities MV distributioni system.

Is there any particular reason for having a 575V system? Are there any specific characterics about this system that differ from the standard 480V system?

Thanks

jumper

600Y/347 is a common voltage in Canada and is used at times in the USA.

I believe 575V would be the listed voltage for motors.

No real great difference, except voltage of course, than our standard 480Y/277 in which motors are listed at 460V

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yep, very common in Canada and also in the Textile industry in the South East US. There are other pockets here and there. Slightly less copper size if you have a lot of motors etc, but requires more transformers if you have a lot of single phase lighting loads.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Gets you as high of voltage as possible yet keeps you out of the over 600 volt applications and codes.

You use mostly the same equipment such as conductors, contactors, or similar equipment such as switches, receptacles, and overcurrent devices.

Fuses you use for 480 volt systems is generally 600 volt rated fuses - so those are the same, circuit breakers you have to watch a little closer - they often are rated only 480 volts, but they usually do make similar breakers in similar or same frame that are rated 600 volts.

Besoeker

We do work at several facilities in Washington that are 575V. Pulp and paper and chemical plants.
We put deck machinery on a number of Canadian Coastguard (CCG) icebreakers a few years ago. St Johns Island, Halifax, Ontario, Collingwood, Vancouver, and Victoria on Vancouver Island. All were 575V systems. Something a bit different and makes you realise what a big country it is.

brian john

We did a few sites here that were 575/330 VAC the systems were used strictly for distribution all other loads were fed at 480/277 or 208/120, the only issue was they end user had to keep transformers in stock due to limited supply of parts locally and as noted check any replacement CB's for the 575/330 distribution for 600 VAC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have seen it on systems both in Canada and some parts of the US at my previous place of employment.

It mostly does not affect a whole lot as others have mentioned as most stuff that is 480V rated (other than CBs as mentioned by another poster) is also rated for 600V.

Transformers and motors are a little harder to come by, but they were readily available, if with a longer lead time.

Status
Not open for further replies.