Meter keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Around here you better not get caught with one of those keys. They even charge the POCO guys if they lose one.
Why, are they considered "controlled substances" or something like that? Possession is one thing, actually using them is another. I also own several tools that may be used to open the lock, but that is not considered wrongdoing, using them to open the lock that I am not authorized to open is what is wrong.

SIRSPARKSALOT

Allen key is the trick here!

Allen key is the trick here!

Here it is pretty much impossible to come by a barrel lock key. I know that if the meter guys loose a key they get reprimanded heavily. What I can say is that they are extremely easy to open with and allen key. I believe the correct size is 13/64, but I cannot be certain without trying first. Basically, when you insert the allen key (if it's the correct size) it will bind on the spring. As you pull it out, it removes the tension on the ball bearings that hold the lock in place.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Why, are they considered "controlled substances" or something like that? Possession is one thing, actually using them is another. I also own several tools that may be used to open the lock, but that is not considered wrongdoing, using them to open the lock that I am not authorized to open is what is wrong.

Don't know all I know is that I lived next door to a guy that was pretty high up in one of the local POCO's and I deal with the other local POCO on a daily basis and when I asked both for a key they laughed at me. The one guy said that if he ever lost his meter key that they would fine him $150.

But then again, I can usually have a meter unlocked within a few hours with just a phone call.

jumper

Don't know all I know is that I lived next door to a guy that was pretty high up in one of the local POCO's and I deal with the other local POCO on a daily basis and when I asked both for a key they laughed at me. The one guy said that if he ever lost his meter key that they would fine him $150.

But then again, I can usually have a meter unlocked within a few hours with just a phone call.

Somethings can be considered illegal to merely possess whether you intend to or actually use them.

IIRC, in MD it is illegal to possess a "slim jim" to unlock a vehicle unless you are registered for its use by the State Police.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Somethings can be considered illegal to merely possess whether you intend to or actually use them.

IIRC, in MD it is illegal to possess a "slim jim" to unlock a vehicle unless you are registered for its use by the State Police.

That's true, look at all the trouble that news reporter is in for just flashing a 30 round magazine on a show that comes out of Washington D.C. Where it's illegal to even posses it, you don't even have to own the gun that it goes in.

kwired

Electron manager

well I guess it is illegal for me to posses things like grinders, saws, drills, torches... I may try to use them as a key for a lock :cool:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
well I guess it is illegal for me to posses things like grinders, saws, drills, torches... I may try to use them as a key for a lock :cool:

Reminds me of the joke about the the Game Warden and woman sitting next to some fishing gear...He wanted to ticket her for fishing with no license because she had all the equipment for fishing. She started screaming "RAPE!!" After calming her down he told her "I have not raped or even touched you!!" "I know, but you have all the equipment."

I know, OT.

kwired

Electron manager
Reminds me of the joke about the the Game Warden and woman sitting next to some fishing gear...He wanted to ticket her for fishing with no license because she had all the equipment for fishing. She started screaming "RAPE!!" After calming her down he told her "I have not raped or even touched you!!" "I know, but you have all the equipment."

I know, OT.

seems like a logical response to me

cowboyjwc

Staff member

I did not know that you owned these tools. I will now have to block you as I do not deal with criminals. Bet you ran with sissors as a kid too.:roll:

SIRSPARKSALOT

9/32 is the size

9/32 is the size

I had to open a PSE&G (NJ) meter to repair a service. The correct size allen key to use is 9/32 for anyone interested.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So does this mean you can be sent to prison if you have a 9/32" allen wrench? I think I have several of them:eek:

If they go the next step and use the "tamper proof" type screws (like the allen with a pin in the middle of the hole), you can get a complete Security Bit set online or in a good electronics supply store for less than $20. (Maybe 20 years though?)​

Last edited:

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
All of the meter lockrings I've seen have a slot for a seal. If we as the dreaded POCO see a missing seal, we assume tampering and pull the meter to inspect. That means extra manhours. Pulling a meter may not seem like a big deal, but I've been in the utility industry for almost 40 years, and pulling a meter is probably the most dangerous part of the job. There is no way of knowing what's behind the meter. Missing cover bolts, broken jaws that can pull out and short to ground, etc. The meter is usually ahead of any protective devices and the only thing that will clear a line side fault is the fuse on the transformer. That can take a while and do a whole lot of damage first. If you don't wear the proper PPE, it can get really ugly. That said, as a utility it would be a setup for a huge liability suit if we let non-utility people access the utility side of the service and something BAD happened. Not worth it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
All of the meter lockrings I've seen have a slot for a seal. If we as the dreaded POCO see a missing seal, we assume tampering and pull the meter to inspect. That means extra manhours. Pulling a meter may not seem like a big deal, but I've been in the utility industry for almost 40 years, and pulling a meter is probably the most dangerous part of the job. There is no way of knowing what's behind the meter. Missing cover bolts, broken jaws that can pull out and short to ground, etc. The meter is usually ahead of any protective devices and the only thing that will clear a line side fault is the fuse on the transformer. That can take a while and do a whole lot of damage first. If you don't wear the proper PPE, it can get really ugly. That said, as a utility it would be a setup for a huge liability suit if we let non-utility people access the utility side of the service and something BAD happened. Not worth it.

........or your suspicions become founded in fact, and someone has rigged the meter to steal power and it fails in the meterman's face.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
When I was younger I would sometimes changeout main breaker or sometimes entire panel box when poco proved to be unreliable about showing up and would specifically forbid me to cut seal, this may have been dangerous also. Lately I have avoided working these things hot and have found ways not to do it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

exact why we went to these years ago cbm-001.jpg

I don't care for the lugs that break off and are pulled out with the meter either.

Aren't those things aimed at the meter glass shattering? OTOH, what are the actual boundaries and incident energy for a 200a residential service? I've read some things recently that suggest most 100a/200a residential services would be HRC 1. Me- I'll have someone else pull the meter or cut the drop.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Aren't those things aimed at the meter glass shattering? OTOH, what are the actual boundaries and incident energy for a 200a residential service? I've read some things recently that suggest most 100a/200a residential services would be HRC 1. Me- I'll have someone else pull the meter or cut the drop.
sounds like a job for the new apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.