hand bender multiple emts at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecold

Is there a hand bender for bending multiple pipes at once?
I know there are shoes for a 555 bender for multiple conduits at one time but what about a hand bender for two or more 1/2 EMTs or maybe two 3/4 EMTs

Looking for a faster way to bend a lot of 90's

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I know there are shoes for a 555 bender for multiple conduits at one time but what about a hand bender for two or more 1/2 EMTs or maybe two 3/4 EMTs

I've not heard of one. 1/2"might be Ok, but 3/4"might be a bit much unless you have an NFL player for a helper!
Along these lines though, has any body tried that new Maxis hand bender bench style? It looks pretty interesting. I'm impressed with the Southwire/Maxis group, seems like they are very innovative.

stevenje

How many are you doing? It doesn't take much effort or time to bend a 90 with a hand bender. Offsets and saddles are another story.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

need an electrician ? :) happy new year , really. how many you need to bend ? when i was piping, we'd have a guy in the air (lift/ladder) and a guy on the ground, or we'd put a man and his pipe and his bender in a lift, depending on the situation

elecold

need an electrician ? :) happy new year , really. how many you need to bend ? when i was piping, we'd have a guy in the air (lift/ladder) and a guy on the ground, or we'd put a man and his pipe and his bender in a lift, depending on the situation

No saddles or offsets that wouldn't work with two attached hand benders.... If I'm going through the motions of bending ( a crap load of 90's for data for instance). ill do two at once

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No saddles or offsets that wouldn't work with two attached hand benders.... If I'm going through the motions of bending ( a crap load of 90's for data for instance). ill do two at once
IMO, if you had dual hand bender, in the time you'd have involved getting both conduits in position to bend, and then bend them, you could have bent two conduits one at a time.

elecold

IMO, if you had dual hand bender, in the time you'd have involved getting both conduits in position to bend, and then bend them, you could have bent two conduits one at a time.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback...I appreciate it but everyone works differently and with that being said.. I believe I could crash it out...with the right layout, in some instances and a good amount of pipe in one area

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I saw a bender in a folder that could do offsets in 1 bend. I forget what it looked like in detail. Folder said put pipe in bender & apply foot pressure. Supposed to make the perfect offset. Greenlee, I think.

growler

I saw a bender in a folder that could do offsets in 1 bend. I forget what it looked like in detail. Folder said put pipe in bender & apply foot pressure. Supposed to make the perfect offset. Greenlee, I think.

You must be thinking of a "box" offset. I have used these on different jobs for years and they do make a perfect box offset and it does save time.

Trying to bend 2ea. 90 degree bends at once with a hand bender probably wouldn't work so well or save time at all. You would still have to measure and fit the conduit into the bender and find some method of keeping it straight ( two at once ) and this would tend to slow things down.

If you are running a lot of exposed conduit then try the offset bender because it's fast and every box offset is exactly the same and make a job look better if the guys are not that good at bending box offsets.

kwired

Electron manager
I worked for a company that had a bender that had two sizes 1/2 and 3/4 it was heavy in comparison to a 1/2 or 3/4 bender and no one used it.

I have one of those, not sure who made it, and I hardly use it.

Customer gave me that along with some other miscellaneous items - mostly wiring devices. She has been widowed for probably 30+ years, her husband was an electrician and it was some of his things she still had around and told me to just take it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
You must be thinking of a "box" offset. I have used these on different jobs for years and they do make a perfect box offset and it does save time.

Trying to bend 2ea. 90 degree bends at once with a hand bender probably wouldn't work so well or save time at all. You would still have to measure and fit the conduit into the bender and find some method of keeping it straight ( two at once ) and this would tend to slow things down.

If you are running a lot of exposed conduit then try the offset bender because it's fast and every box offset is exactly the same and make a job look better if the guys are not that good at bending box offsets.

Yes, that is what it was. I never saw one to try out. I thought it was a good idea, if you ran lots of conduit on a tight schedule, that would help a lot. 1 bend instead of 2. Could even have a helper mass produce a few dozen offsets if several crews are doing conduit.

Does Greenlee still make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.