Door switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Can anyone point me in the direction of a "ball type" door switch used to control closet lighting. I am familiar with the plunger type that mount in the jamb but am being told by a homeowner that he had roller type switches that mount at the top of the door in one of his homes. It would need to be line voltage rated (120V). I have found ball type but they are all low voltage application. Thanks.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think yopu are thinking of something more like this:
244RB.jpg

But just because your homeowner saw one doesn't mean he saw how it was really used.

The reason why you can only find these roller types as Low Voltage is twofold:
1) If it is under 50V, it doesn't need to be UL listed.
2) It's intended use is to be mounted inside of a wooden door jamb without another box just by drilling an appropriately sized hole and feeding the wires into it. If it were to be used for 120V, then the connection would need to be in another enclosure / J-box, which gets complicated if there is a door jamb there.

So you will just have to explain to him that either he accepts low voltage lighting in his closet, or a different type of switch, or a relay box in the closet that allows the use of this LV switch.

There is this type that is rated for 120V, very similar but it does include a j-box, so it's not as simple of an install and I would be careful about how much of the door jamb stud you are removing to fit it in there. I think these are intended more for new construction where you can plan for it by the way you make the door jamb stub. I put them in my closets, but I doubled up on the studs ahead of time because it required chewing out a lot of the wood.
2968.jpg
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/bryant/datasheet.asp?PN=2968

Status
Not open for further replies.