wire pulling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I do not have any experience pulling wire in conduit so I must ask this question.

I have a job where I will be pulling 2-#3 and 1-#8 THHN through a 1.5" EMT 75 feet. There is a ninety degree near the beginning and a 90 degree near the end.

What do I need to be prepared for this. Is a nylon pull string sufficient to pull these wires?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your conduit is well oversized (a 1-1/2 EMT capacity would be 8 #3s) so a decent sized nylon string should work, however, a fish tape would be a good investment as a labor saver.

jeremysterling

I agree with Augie that to be prepared for this pull you need at least a 100' metal fishtape.

That said, I would leave the fishtape in the truck. I would blow (suck) a jet-line (pull-string) into the conduit with my cordless shop vac. I would tie the conductors onto the jet-line. Then, tell my helper to push the wires in, while on the other end, I guide the head by keeping slight tension on the jet-line. If this fails for any reason, I get the metal fishtape from the truck, and get it done.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with Augie that to be prepared for this pull you need at least a 100' metal fishtape.

That said, I would leave the fishtape in the truck. I would blow (suck) a jet-line (pull-string) into the conduit with my cordless shop vac. I would tie the conductors onto the jet-line. Then, tell my helper to push the wires in, while on the other end, I guide the head by keeping slight tension on the jet-line. If this fails for any reason, I get the metal fishtape from the truck, and get it done.
I would never try to pull that with jet line. The jet line has a lot of friction when pulled around a bend when you are pulling wire. A rope would be a much better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.