Color Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnbob

We have a building we are going to wire, and it will have a 480 volt 3 phase 4 wire service, with a step down transformer that will supply 120/240 3 phase 4 panel, feeding some equipment requiring 240 volt, verse 20 volt.

My question is what would you use for a color coding system. The hi leg is required to be orange on the secondary side. Do you substitute pink or purple for the B phase of the 480 system?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is no "standard" per the NEC simply a requirement to identify the different system voltages. Brown Purple Yellow is the common color code here for 480

shepelec

Around here it's

Brown, Orange, Yellow for 277/480
Black, Red, Blue for 120/208

When I have worked on 575 or 600v I use Brown, Orange, Yellow with a single stripe of red. I guess I figure maybe somebody will wonder why it's an odd ball color and check the voltage before working on it.:blink:

plumb bob

Brown, orange, yellow is very common in my area. The nec states that high legs must be identified orange. But it does not state that orange cannot be used for any other ungrounded conductors. It can be used for 480, 277, 110, whatever. The only time it must be used is a high leg.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have a building we are going to wire, and it will have a 480 volt 3 phase 4 wire service, with a step down transformer that will supply 120/240 3 phase 4 panel, feeding some equipment requiring 240 volt, verse 20 volt.

My question is what would you use for a color coding system. The hi leg is required to be orange on the secondary side. Do you substitute pink or purple for the B phase of the 480 system?

I substitute purple for orange on the 480, but I have had a big city inspector buck on it, saying all he had ever seen was Brown, Orange and Yellow, and would not pass the installation until I changed it back to orange, but yet he was good on leaving the high leg on the 240 orange too..:roll:

dnbob

So I have to label my panel boards with a sign stating the color code. Not sure how I could ever explain using orange for 2 different voltages.

plumb bob

So I have to label my panel boards with a sign stating the color code. Not sure how I could ever explain using orange for 2 different voltages.

Again, not uncommen in my area. My company does a lot of controls and instrumentation work, and often this wiring is done in red or blue. Just because we have low(er) volt control wires in those colors doesn't stop us from using those same colors for line voltage work. If we brought enough colors for every voltage and system in some facilities we would spend more money on purchasing wire than on the labor pulling it! Sure all different colors might make it easier but we've troubleshot in a water plant where every wire was black. Every wire! Took more time and care, but it still got done.

hillbilly1

Occupation

Your not supposed to, the inspector I had was dead wrong, but since he was the AHJ, and taking it to the state wasn't worth fighting with him from then on. Choose your battles carefully. Your inspector probably knows better.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Your not supposed to, the inspector I had was dead wrong, but since he was the AHJ, and taking it to the state wasn't worth fighting with him from then on. Choose your battles carefully. Your inspector probably knows better.
Not supposed to what?

210.5 Identification for Branch Circuits.

(A) Grounded Conductor. The grounded conductor of a
branch circuit shall be identified in accordance with 200.6.

(B) Equipment Grounding Conductor.
The equipment
grounding conductor shall be identified in accordance with

(C) Identification of Ungrounded Conductors.
Ungrounded
conductors shall be identified in accordance with
210.5(C)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Application.
Where the premises wiring system has
branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage
system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit
shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination,
connection, and splice points.

(2) Means of Identification.
The means of identification
shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking
tape, tagging, or other approved means.

(3) Posting of Identification Means.
The method utilized
for conductors originating within each branch-circuit panelboard
or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment
shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or
shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard
or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
Again, not uncommen in my area. My company does a lot of controls and instrumentation work, and often this wiring is done in red or blue. Just because we have low(er) volt control wires in those colors doesn't stop us from using those same colors for line voltage work. If we brought enough colors for every voltage and system in some facilities we would spend more money on purchasing wire than on the labor pulling it! Sure all different colors might make it easier but we've troubleshot in a water plant where every wire was black. Every wire! Took more time and care, but it still got done.

Color is only one method of ID. Look at Smart$ post, pay particular attention to part (C)(2) in the quoted code.

kwired

Electron manager
So how do I comply with C3, if I have a red wire on 2 different voltages?

If insulation color is your identification method, then you can not comply.

It is possible to have all red (or any other color) conductors, except for grounded and grounding conductors, they must be specific colors green, green with yellow stripes, white, grey.

You are permitted to mark them with separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means, which is pretty unlimited.

But once you establish a marking method and post it, you need to stick with that method throughout the facility.

kwired

Electron manager
So I could have black, orange, blue for 120/240 3 phase and brown, orange with purple tape wrap, yellow for 277/480 3 phase.

Yes, you could also have all black, all red, all blue... except for grounding/grounded conductors, and marker tapes identifying each conductor, with just about any marking imaginable on the marker tape, from codes to full descriptive wording.

dnbob

Thanks for all the posts. Just a little different situation than what we are used to, as we have not had the 480 & 240 systems used together before.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are using color as the identifier, then they must be different, that is what the op is asking. If you are using a different method to identify the wiring, then fine knock your self out with all the same color, but that's not the question posted.

But many people get hung up on color, not realizing that is not the only acceptable method of identification.

Many want a standard color scheme introduced in the code for certain voltages, I hope it never happens, as there are many methods of identification. For simple building systems color works fine, for more complex facilities where there may be many systems, there is a need of more complex identification and not enough colors in the rainbow for all of them.

hillbilly1

Occupation
But many people get hung up on color, not realizing that is not the only acceptable method of identification.

Many want a standard color scheme introduced in the code for certain voltages, I hope it never happens, as there are many methods of identification. For simple building systems color works fine, for more complex facilities where there may be many systems, there is a need of more complex identification and not enough colors in the rainbow for all of them.

The problem is, when you have an inspector that will not pass a legal means of identification of your choice, and wants you to make it illegal. They do not have the right to force you to use a different method unless it is a written amendment to the code. Not because they have never seen it done that way before.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.