Ground bar installation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

Hello to all- I will be installing a 100 amp service disconnect switch for a residence. I will be separating the grounds and neutrals in the old main panel. My question is: I plan on removing the bonding jumper and using that bar for the neutrals. Can I drill and tap the panel to install another ground bar using machine screws? Thanks to all who reply.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
yes you can install a separate grounding bar in the panel.

I assume you will be removing the main bonding jumper to isolate the Neutral from the enclosure?

RESI

Edward- Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will be removing the bonding jumper as well as installing SER cable between the switch and the panel. Meter base to disconnect switch will be SEU cable. All grounding will take place in the disconnect switch. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

kwired

Electron manager
Edward- Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will be removing the bonding jumper as well as installing SER cable between the switch and the panel. Meter base to disconnect switch will be SEU cable. All grounding will take place in the disconnect switch. Anything else I need to be concerned with?

You may need to scrape paint behind that ground bar to ensure bonding of the enclosure, if panel thickness is not enough you may need other methods of bonding the panel (I believe you need at least two threads engaged in the mounting screws) maybe a nut on the screw satisfies this if panel is not thick enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.