Dirty Electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I found this article interesting except for the part (go to the stetzerelectric.com website) about how these filters could better your health.

http://www.electricalpollution.com/documents/Havas&Stetzer_WHO.pdf

I welcome any comments.:)

Dirty Electricity is a term not readily used to describe what I call poor power quality and can range from total harmonic distortion (THD) on electrical distribution systems to EM radiation from cell phone towers, radio and tv towers, microwave tower, etc.
The debate on whether EM has health effects has been going on for decades and there has really not been any concrete evidence to prove it.
The article was particularly interesting to me since we encounter excessive THD at customer's sites that cause problems with equipment operation ( monitor, display jitter on workstations, mainframe malfunction (data corruption) in data centers) transformers and motors overheating, and have to find the root cause and offer solutions in terms of rewiring, filtering, etc.
I went to the website that builds these "filters" and think it is a total scam in leading people to believe that if you plug 20 of these into your house it will improve your overall health.
So in a sense (like many scams) it uses some scientific fact then tailors it to selling a product that does not do what it claims. To prove my point, hook up a scope to any house outlet and look at the sine wave. It will show little distortion as opposed to an office bldg or manufacturing plant, hospital with a high concentration of PCs (switching power supplies, non-linear loads.)

Last edited:

robbietan

I found this article interesting except for the part (go to the stetzerelectric.com website) about how these filters could better your health.

http://www.electricalpollution.com/documents/Havas&Stetzer_WHO.pdf

I welcome any comments.:)

Dirty Electricity is a term not readily used to describe what I call poor power quality and can range from total harmonic distortion (THD) on electrical distribution systems to EM radiation from cell phone towers, radio and tv towers, microwave tower, etc.
The debate on whether EM has health effects has been going on for decades and there has really not been any concrete evidence to prove it.
The article was particularly interesting to me since we encounter excessive THD at customer's sites that cause problems with equipment operation ( monitor, display jitter on workstations, mainframe malfunction (data corruption) in data centers) transformers and motors overheating, and have to find the root cause and offer solutions in terms of rewiring, filtering, etc.
I went to the website that builds these "filters" and think it is a total scam in leading people to believe that if you plug 20 of these into your house it will improve your overall health.
So in a sense (like many scams) it uses some scientific fact then tailors it to selling a product that does not do what it claims. To prove my point, hook up a scope to any house outlet and look at the sine wave. It will show little distortion as opposed to an office bldg or manufacturing plant, hospital with a high concentration of PCs (switching power supplies, non-linear loads.)

in my ten years with a distribution company (in the Philippines) checking on power quality, I have yet to encounter an overheating main transformer due to excessive THD although I have seen some cases where harmonics have interfered with the operation of some electronic/computer based controls of equipment. placing line reactors on harmonic sources and/or giving sensitive electronics their own circuits usually eliminates the problem. users that complain of jitters on CRT monitors that get too close to magnetic fields from distribution wires normally are told to switch to LCD - savings on power consumption usually gets them to agree.

no need for "miracle products" for these, I am afraid

brian john

in my ten years with a distribution company (in the Philippines) checking on power quality, I have yet to encounter an overheating main transformer due to excessive THD although I have seen some cases where harmonics have interfered with the operation of some electronic/computer based controls of equipment. placing line reactors on harmonic sources and/or giving sensitive electronics their own circuits usually eliminates the problem. users that complain of jitters on CRT monitors that get too close to magnetic fields from distribution wires normally are told to switch to LCD - savings on power consumption usually gets them to agree.

no need for "miracle products" for these, I am afraid

In the "early" days of VFD, we had several central heating/cooling plants that heating issues with transformers from, what we assumed was high temperature resulting from the drive operation.

Most PQ issues we see are hardware/software issues, then wiring errors, that result in PQ problems.

I dislike the term "DIRTY POWER" though I have made money off IT people screaming the term and demanding monitoring and investigations.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
In the "early" days of VFD, we had several central heating/cooling plants that heating issues with transformers from, what we assumed was high temperature resulting from the drive operation.

Most PQ issues we see are hardware/software issues, then wiring errors, that result in PQ problems.

I dislike the term "DIRTY POWER" though I have made money off IT people screaming the term and demanding monitoring and investigations.

sounds like you work near Washington DC

robbietan

we also dislike the term "dirty power" or "dirty electricity" but we also make business off it.

and I am in the distribution utility business

Status
Not open for further replies.