what classification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
One of my clients is asking to move (2) forklift chargers into the warehouse. The warehouse stores Class 8 corrosive and class 3 flammable liquids. The chemicals are stored in closed containers and never opened. Unless an accident happens and they are spilled.

My question: Eventhough the chemicals are "stored only" does the warehouse classifiy as a hazourdous location? and if yes, what classification is this?

I have contacted the AHJ, but haven't received any response yet.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I just checked the booked and can't figure out if any of the locations apply. But i am probably wrong.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

My question: Eventhough the chemicals are "stored only" does the warehouse classifiy as a hazourdous location? and if yes, what classification is this?

There's a lot more detail involved in making the determination, which is not my area so I'll not "hazard" a guess. To get an idea, see 500.5(B)(2) Informational Note No. 1.

But if it were to be classified, likely Class I Division 2.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thanks Smarts,

(2) Class I, Division 2. A Class I, Division 2 location is a
(1) In which volatile flammable gases, flammable liquid? produced vapors, or combustible liquid?produced vapors are handled, processed, or used, but in which the liquids, vapors, or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems or in case of abnormal operation of equipment, or...

I assume the word "handled" means material handling, packing and getting it ready for shipment??? Not necessarily transferring from one container to another.

One of my clients is asking to move (2) forklift chargers into the warehouse. The warehouse stores Class 8 corrosive and class 3 flammable liquids. The chemicals are stored in closed containers and never opened. Unless an accident happens and they are spilled.

I have contacted the AHJ, but haven't received any response yet.

Storage areas, as you describe, normally would be non-classified.

Status
Not open for further replies.