Required GFI protection for garage outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a situation as an inspector where a contractor installed an outlelt below a panel for plugging in solar metering equipment. He claims that because the equipment is fastened to the wall, it therefore negates the GFI protection requirement. He is also saying that it meets the definition of an appliance. I must also say that this is in New Jersey, and this particular section of 210.8 is using the '05 code exceptions. I am looking for opinions on this matter.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Help me understand the situation. When you say the outlet is below a panel, I gather you are not talking about a branch circuit panel. So what is the panel? And what do you mean by solar metering equipment? And what do you mean by plugging in solar metering equipment. Finally, what kind of outlet is this (i.e., is it a normal receptacle outlet into which you could plug a portable tool while doing work in the garage, or is the outlet somehow related directly to the solar metering equipment)?

My interpretation of the exception to which you refer is this: In my garage at home, I have a fridge and a freezer sitting on the floor side-by-side. A duplex receptacle is located behind the freezer, and both appliances are plugged into that duplex. Neither appliance is easy to move. I could use Exception 2 to 210.8(A)(2) (2005 NEC) to justify not having GFCI protection for that duplex. I might have a disagreement with you (as the inspector) over the question of whether the two appliances are in "dedicated space." But I think the bottom line is that if a person could plug a power tool or an extension cord serving an electric weed cutter into the receptacle outlet, without having to manhandle the "appliance" out of the way, then the exception would not apply, and the receptacle would need GFCI protection. I am guessing that is the situation in your case, and that the contractor is wrong.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My first though ia along the lines with charlie b. If the oullet is readily avaialble to plug in a power tool etc., then I would require it to be GFCI.
That said, since the contractor seems to be playing "word games", I would get the listing number off the solar meter and see if it's ;isted by the agency as an appliance.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a situation as an inspector where a contractor installed an outlelt below a panel for plugging in solar metering equipment. He claims that because the equipment is fastened to the wall, it therefore negates the GFI protection requirement. He is also saying that it meets the definition of an appliance. I must also say that this is in New Jersey, and this particular section of 210.8 is using the '05 code exceptions. I am looking for opinions on this matter.
I noticed you used the term outlet and not receptacle. Is it a single or duplex receptacle outlet?

Assuming a receptacle outlet, to meet either exception, this solar metering equipment being attached to the wall makes no difference unless it renders the receptacle not readily accessible.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I noticed you used the term outlet and not receptacle. Is it a single or duplex receptacle outlet?

Assuming a receptacle outlet, to meet either exception, this solar metering equipment being attached to the wall makes no difference unless it renders the receptacle not readily accessible.

Just as a matter of discussion (not being argumentative), and I trust that this comment has some bearing on changes in the '08 nd '11 Codes, but I do not see the "not readily accessible" as part of the wording in '05.
I think a lot of us enforced it that way. I think that was the intent and I think it's common sense, but his Contractor appears to be playing games and by the actual wording I don't see a "accessible" argument.

Further clarification of outlet

Further clarification of outlet

The outlet is a duplex receptacle located below the main circuit breaker panel in a garage in a single family residence. As some have said, it would be very easy to unplug one of the devices and plug in a power tool. As for the solar equipment, it is actually the production meter communication equipment as required by the state of NEw Jersey for solar credits. I hope this clears it up somewhat.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just as a matter of discussion (not being argumentative), and I trust that this comment has some bearing on changes in the '08 nd '11 Codes, but I do not see the "not readily accessible" as part of the wording in '05.
I think a lot of us enforced it that way. I think that was the intent and I think it's common sense, but his Contractor appears to be playing games and by the actual wording I don't see a "accessible" argument.
Exception 1 uses the term not readily accessible.

Exception 2 requires the receptacle to be located within dedicated space for the cord-and-plug-connected appliance. I agree it does not say "not readily accessible" but leads us to believe that is the intent because of the part stating the appliance be not easily moved. Rendering the receptacle not readily accessible is only implicit. Regardless, if this is a wall-mounted receptacle and the equipment is attached to the wall, the only place the receptacle can be located within dedicated space for the "appliance" is behind it. Otherwise, the receptacle would have to be "within" the appliance's bounds to comply.

Fight words with words... :p

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The outlet is a duplex receptacle located below the main circuit breaker panel in a garage in a single family residence. As some have said, it would be very easy to unplug one of the devices and plug in a power tool. As for the solar equipment, it is actually the production meter communication equipment as required by the state of NEw Jersey for solar credits. I hope this clears it up somewhat.

In NJ most inspectors would accept a single receptacle. No different than a single receptacle for a sump pump.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In NJ most inspectors would accept a single receptacle. No different than a single receptacle for a sump pump.

And they would not insist on GFCI for that one receptacle even if it was located in a space that otherwise would mandate GFCI??
I guess it would be safe enough if the sump pump did not itself require GFCI and you assume that nobody would unplug the sump pump to plug something else in.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
All of which, I assume, lead to the '08 eliminating all garage exceptions.
I know we can't write out "stupid", but I did witness a carpenter receiving a shock from a saw being used outdoors after he ignored available garage GFCI receptacles and unplugged the house vac system from it's simplex dedicated outlet and used that for his extension cord.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I know we can't write out "stupid", but I did witness a carpenter receiving a shock from a saw being used outdoors after he ignored available garage GFCI receptacles and unplugged the house vac system from it's simplex dedicated outlet and used that for his extension cord.

Or maybe he actually tried one of them and when the GFCI kept tripping he had to look for another outlet? :)

ceb58

He probley didn't ignore the GFCI. He knew his crappy saw would trip them out.:dunce:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The outlet is a duplex receptacle located below the main circuit breaker panel in a garage in a single family residence. As some have said, it would be very easy to unplug one of the devices and plug in a power tool.
Thanks for the clarification. My interpretation is that the exception does not apply, since the outlet is not within dedicated space for the appliance. GFCI protection is required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks for the clarification. My interpretation is that the exception does not apply, since the outlet is not within dedicated space for the appliance. GFCI protection is required.

I agree. Of course in the 2008 & 2011 there would be no question as there is nothing exempting gfci if it is not accessible for a residence. The fact is the gfci needs to be installed in a readily accessible place in 2011.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree. Of course in the 2008 & 2011 there would be no question as there is nothing exempting gfci if it is not accessible for a residence. The fact is the gfci needs to be installed in a readily accessible place in 2011.

How is a sump pump receptacle within the dedicated space of the pump when the pump is underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.