Garage Bonding Jumper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
This is a 2 part inquiry.

About three months ago I was at a customers home and as I was leaving he asked me to take a look in his detached Garage where he had an issue with a breaker tripping. The panel in the Garage has a 3 wire feed, the grounded conductor, neutral, is floating and the equipment grounds are attached to the can along with a ground rod. There is NO metallic pathway back to the House so I installed a Bonding Jumper, per 250.32(B)(1) exception. Was this the correct addition to the panel?

I received a call yesterday from this customer to come by and look at wiring a newly installed Unit Heater in the Garage. There is now a metallic gas line back to the House. So now I see the only way to correct this would be to add an Equipment Grounding Conductor from the House panel and remove the Bonding Jumper that I had installed. Is this correct?

Thanks, as always, in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, the parallel path of the metal gas pipe means you must install an EGC in the feeder.

kwired

Electron manager
Did you verify the gas line was electrically continuous? Not uncommon to see nonmetallic piping underground these days, or even if it is metallic there may be an isolating fitting somewhere.

John120/240

From what I have seen for gas piping they will use black iron where exposed above grade then transition to plastic pipe for long runs

then transition back to iron pipe at the other end.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I agree, the parallel path of the metal gas pipe means you must install an EGC in the feeder.
I agree.

Did you verify the gas line was electrically continuous? Not uncommon to see nonmetallic piping underground these days, or even if it is metallic there may be an isolating fitting somewhere.

From what I have seen for gas piping they will use black iron where exposed above grade then transition to plastic pipe for long runs

then transition back to iron pipe at the other end.
Good point. Any new gas pipe installed underground, by the gas company or private plumbing contractors, has been plastic in my neck of the woods.

Occupation
Inspector

Good point. I will check when I get there this afternoon. That would save a great deal of time and effort.

Occupation
Inspector
Follow up...

Follow up...

After looking at the gas line from the Garage to the House I found that the underground portion is plastic.

Thanks for everyones input.

Status
Not open for further replies.