Cat 5 Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

I'm using some Cat 5 cable for the control of blinds(not voice/data). What piece of equip. can be used to split one cat 5 cable into two cat 5 cable. Is there a splitter of some sort for this? Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm using some Cat 5 cable for the control of blinds(not voice/data). What piece of equip. can be used to split one cat 5 cable into two cat 5 cable. Is there a splitter of some sort for this? Thanks.

How about something like this? http://compare.ebay.com/like/180455460380?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
As you know, this would not work for a real data installation that required the Cat5 to serve as a transmission line, but for either phone voice or your use it should be fine.

kbsparky

How about something like this? http://compare.ebay.com/like/180455460380?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
As you know, this would not work for a real data installation that required the Cat5 to serve as a transmission line, but for either phone voice or your use it should be fine.

Those things are junk. Here is the disclaimer:

This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line, but it doesn't support both computer to connect onto the internet simultaneously

You will need a router, or switch to effectively split one CAT-5 line for use on 2 computers at the same time.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Those things are junk. Here is the disclaimer:

This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line, but it doesn't support both computer to connect onto the internet simultaneously

You will need a router, or switch to effectively split one CAT-5 line for use on 2 computers at the same time.
I agree, but the OP is not using the CAT-5 for ethernet or any other data transmission. Is it being used as a convenient standard multi-pair wiring method for electrically operated blinds.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
If it's just control wiring what's wrong with wire nuts? Ideal grays.

-Hal
Probably nothing, but that would require stripping 24 wires and fitting in 8 wire nuts instead of just joining three pre-fab cables that have connectors on the ends already. A matter of taste. I am pretty sure that the equipment itself has the matching jacks, so the choice of CAT-5 (or maybe CAT-4?) is forced at both ends of the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.