Installing cable in a long horizontal chase -- how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

Good morning,

I have an application where I need to install a fiberoptic cable from point A to point B. There is a 12" abandoned buried pipe that I'd like to use for a chase. I'll be specifying this as part of a larger project that will be bid and completed by a Contractor. Just exactly how might he/she complete the work? I would imagine a pull-string would be used to pull in a rope which would pull the cable, but how does one get the string there in the first place? The inside of the pipe is not clean or smooth.

Thanks,
Jason

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would not be telling them how to pull it, just that the FO cable should be installed in the existing pipe, along with your caveat that the inside of the pipe is not smooth. Let the contractor figure out how to run it. that is his job.

Depending on the length of the pipe it might be as simple as a snake.

lakee911

Thanks for the response. I'm not planning on telling them how, I'd just like to know for my own knowledge. Also, be nice for costing purposes in case any special equipment might be needed. I also forgot to mention that this pipe is approximatey 1000' long. Sorry for the ommision.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for the response. I'm not planning on telling them how, I'd just like to know for my own knowledge. Also, be nice for costing purposes in case any special equipment might be needed. I also forgot to mention that this pipe is approximatey 1000' long. Sorry for the ommision.

That would be a long snake.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

lakee911

They probably make a pipe cleaning "Pig" used on sewer lines that might work, a homemade one made from a foam mattress could be used. Looks like the biggest conduit one is 6".
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=foam-carriers&div=5&l1=pulling_products

That's pretty a common animal (nice pun, huh?) in the oil and gas pipelines. I bet they could use one from that industry to pull their rope.

What's going to happen to the other pipes connected to the 12" pipe when high volume compressed air is forced through it?

There isn't any other pipes connected to this as it is a force main from a pump station located approx 1000' away from the plant. There may be some old air release valves that were abandoned in place....those would need to be plugged.

So, that's one method ... any other practical options for this sort of thing?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My first thought is, I would try a radio controlled truck. First I would send it through without a string, to make sure it can get ther, and then I would send it with the lightest smallest string I could find. for you, I would absolutely require that the fiber get install in an innerduct and they can pull a spare innerduct with a pull string.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
My first thought is, I would try a radio controlled truck. First I would send it through without a string, to make sure it can get ther, and then I would send it with the lightest smallest string I could find. for you, I would absolutely require that the fiber get install in an innerduct and they can pull a spare innerduct with a pull string.

Going underground, especially through a metal pipe will greatly limit the range of any RC device. What happens when it gets half way through and you can't control it any more? For that reason at least, a retrieval cord of some sort.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Going underground, especially through a metal pipe will greatly limit the range of any RC device. What happens when it gets half way through and you can't control it any more? For that reason at least, a retrieval cord of some sort.

Good idea, I was figuring though that you would be able to be on top of it and not lose the signal, but you never know. Another method, that is possible, is an animal. A dachshund going after a treat at the other end would be fine. They live for it.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Good idea, I was figuring though that you would be able to be on top of it and not lose the signal, but you never know. Another method, that is possible, is an animal. A dachshund going after a treat at the other end would be fine. They live for it.

A dachshund pulling 1000 feet of cord through a rough sewer pipe.

What could possibly go wrong?

:lol:

lakee911

You guys are funny. We had the same ideas ... RC vehicle and animal. We figured that when the signal ran out now we'd have an RC truck in there to combat. We then thought about a dog, but that's a mighty long way. :lol:

The directional boring machine (assuming HDD type) would be a bit overkill for the job, but it would get it done.

Good call on the interduct! We'll certainly use that.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
Lets keep it simple

Lets keep it simple

What about glueing 1000' of 3/4" PVC together and using a 1-liter water bottle slipped over the pipe as a leader? Then pull back your pull rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.