receptacle in closet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgelectric

Whats the codes stand point of receptacles in closet?
Customer wants a receptacle up high in closet for media equipment that will be on the back side of his TV.
Never done it and thinking about it seems like it would not be code comliant...:?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Whats the codes stand point of receptacles in closet?
Customer wants a receptacle up high in closet for media equipment that will be on the back side of his TV.
Never done it and thinking about it seems like it would not be code comliant...:?

As Dennis said, this is allowed but, if his plan is to run any power cord(s) through the wall he does have a problem.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't see an exception in 400.8 for low voltage.
For the LV cables you would have to look into chapters 6,7,and 8.

Articles 640, 725, and 810 to name a few.

Roger

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some AV cables will say "in wall use" on the box. These cords are stamped CL2 or CM on their jacket in most cases and could be run within the walls. These are usually easy to find for speaker wire and HDMI cables. Some of the older style RCA/Phono plug audio/video cables will have this rating, but most do not.

brett711

240.24d that reads no overcurrent devices near ignitable material, such as closets, i would not do it. that is to orig ?? outlets in closets

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
240.24d that reads no overcurrent devices near ignitable material, such as closets, i would not do it. that is to orig ?? outlets in closets
The question is not about OCPD's.

Roger

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
how everyone interprets the code is different. that code article has to do with closets and power.

That section (240.24(D)) has to do with Overcurrent Devices and easily ignitable materials. The original post has nothing to do with Overcurrent devices, nor is there any mention of easily ignitable material. Only media equipment.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
how everyone interprets the code is different. that code article has to do with closets and power.
Yes it does have to do with closets and power but I don't think many interpret receptacles and breakers to be the same thing.

Roger

renosteinke

Go ahead - put in as many receptacles as you like, in whatever places you like. Guys are so used to doing 'code minimum' that they get confused when a customer askes for something that's not required. :)

Passing cords through the wall? Why not? They're not 'flexible cords' in the manner of SO. Indeed, what is a typical installation method for low voltage? You pass the cable through a simple hole in the wall, run it across the house, and then exit through another hole. OK, so you make the hole 'pretty' with a data ring or a fancy Arlingtom plate; there's still no attempt at strain relief or closing the hole. I'd probably just use a pair of data rings back-to-back.

Status
Not open for further replies.