Combinational starter Panel Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsbeih

I have a 14 motor (all less than 5HP) loadout equipment. I am trying to size apanel board accomodating 14 combinational starter NEMA size 1. I am not trying to build an MCC. this panel will be fed from an MCC in the main MCC building. this panel will be near the equipment.
Thanks for your advise

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sorry. Don't fully understand. Do you have a feeder coming from the main building to feed your 14 combination starters ?

wsbeih

Sorry. Don't fully understand. Do you have a feeder coming from the main building to feed your 14 combination starters ?

Yes, one feeder from main building to the main breaker in the main control panel which have the total 14 combination starter. My question is about the installation of such a panel in class II Div II group G. is it feasible/common to have such a panel in classifed areas. if not how can i mount 14 individual combinational starter in one area and group them near each others.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Class 1 Div II would require the controller enclosures to be dust-tight at a minimum.
If you have to group them out of that area, the most common installs I see are starters grouped side by side in two rows on a board with line/load conduits to a wireway above.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a 14 motor (all less than 5HP) loadout equipment. I am trying to size apanel board accomodating 14 combinational starter NEMA size 1. I am not trying to build an MCC. this panel will be fed from an MCC in the main MCC building. this panel will be near the equipment.
Thanks for your advise

Yes, one feeder from main building to the main breaker in the main control panel which have the total 14 combination starter. My question is about the installation of such a panel in class II Div II group G. is it feasible/common to have such a panel in classifed areas. if not how can i mount 14 individual combinational starter in one area and group them near each others.

That seems like two completely different questions.

The feeder is sized according to the motor feeder sizing rules just like any other motor feeder. 430.24 may be of some help to you.

unless you buy explosion proof starters or protect against fire via pressurization/purging (or some other method), you can't install motor starters in a c1 d2 area. i have only a few times had to have a MS installed inside a classified area. most times there is an unclassified area nearby where they locate things like this.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
you can have arcing/sparking contacts in a c1d2 area if it is enclosed in a dust tight enclosure?

Would not be the first time I've been wrong..... today :D

502.115 Switches, Circuit Breakers, Motor Controllers,
and Fuses.
(A) Class II, Division 1. In Class II, Division 1 locations,
switches, circuit breakers, motor controllers, and fuses, including
pushbuttons, relays, and similar devices, shall be
provided with enclosures identified for the location.
(B) Class II, Division 2. In Class II, Division 2 locations,
enclosures for fuses, switches, circuit breakers, and motor
controllers, including pushbuttons, relays, and similar devices,
shall be dusttight or otherwise identified for the location.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Would not be the first time I've been wrong..... today :D

502.115 Switches, Circuit Breakers, Motor Controllers,
and Fuses.
(A) Class II, Division 1. In Class II, Division 1 locations,
switches, circuit breakers, motor controllers, and fuses, including
pushbuttons, relays, and similar devices, shall be
provided with enclosures identified for the location.
(B) Class II, Division 2. In Class II, Division 2 locations,
enclosures for fuses, switches, circuit breakers, and motor
controllers, including pushbuttons, relays, and similar devices,
shall be dusttight or otherwise identified for the location.

I missed the class 1 part. much simpler there.

Status
Not open for further replies.