Candlepower versus wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

Finally got to attend first hockey game of the season last night. Got there early and they had one of those trailer rigs going that shine four rotating lights into the night sky. It wasn't dark yet and I got to checking it out closer. It has a sticker on it that said 6 million candlepower. Did a little research this morning trying to find a way to convert candlepower to wattage without much luck. This all in one setup had a diesel 15 KW generator which seems like way overkill for what they had there. Anybody know about these setups that could share some "light" on what sort of load the are serving? I'm just being curious.

kwired

Electron manager
Efficiency of the lighting source will change candlepower in relation to watts.

You will have a lot more light per watt from an HID source than you will have from an incandescent source. But I bet you already knew this.

Do you know what type of light source is used for the lights in question?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have a hand held spot light that's 15 million candle power.

It uses a 12 volt SLA battery (about the size as one would start a garden tractor with) as a power source.

Since CP is affected by the reflector and beam size, I don't think there is a direct correlation between watts and CP.

Here is one like it:

http://spyville.com/searchlight-spotlight.html

spyville_2245_77707163

Last edited:

John120/240

Were these carbon-arc lamps ? They were popular as search lights during WW II. Strike an arc between two carbon rods with

a mirrored surface behind the arc. Then the whole works might rotate in a circular motion. Very similar to arc welding.

I am sure the web has several examples & better descriptions.

kwired

Electron manager
Were these carbon-arc lamps ? They were popular as search lights during WW II. Strike an arc between two carbon rods with

a mirrored surface behind the arc. Then the whole works might rotate in a circular motion. Very similar to arc welding.

I think more modern ones are xenon lamps, so are airport beacons, and motion picture projection lamps.

mivey

I haven't seen those in years. In my youth, I used to see them all the time at special events. Behemoths.

Electric-Light

Lumen is to pound as is candela is to psi.

If you place a 1 lb weight on a 1" x 1" slab, the resulting pressure is 1 psi.
If you attach a smaller piece on bottom of the peg that is 1/10" x 1/10" it is 0.1 x 0.1 = 0.01in, and 1/0.01 = 100 psi.

Same idea.

Electric-Light

Finally got to attend first hockey game of the season last night. Got there early and they had one of those trailer rigs going that shine four rotating lights into the night sky. It wasn't dark yet and I got to checking it out closer. It has a sticker on it that said 6 million candlepower. Did a little research this morning trying to find a way to convert candlepower to wattage without much luck. This all in one setup had a diesel 15 KW generator which seems like way overkill for what they had there. Anybody know about these setups that could share some "light" on what sort of load the are serving? I'm just being curious.

I haven't looked at them up-close, but they're probably MH or a high pressure short-arc xenon.

Short arc xenon produces a good point source and it is a wide spectrum lamp with sunlight like quality. It offers very easy manipulation using optics. Multi-kW short arc xenon are used for police/search & rescue helicopter spot lights and projection lamp in commercial theatres like IMAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.