GFCI requirements Vs manufacturer installation instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

Kitchens require GFCI's. However, if a particular piece of equipment says it is not recommended to have GFCI protection (for example freezer) to avoid unnecessary tripping, which requirement is followed: NEC or equipment manufacturer?

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion if the recommendation is in fact part of the listing and labeling it means that equipment cannot be located in a commercial kitchen.

But if it is just a recommendation I would say you can ignore it.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
safety over convenience, too bad if it trips and ruins food, it just may save the kitchen workers life.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Bob- recommendation does not overrule the NEC. To be compliant a gfci is required if it is 120v cord and plug

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As mentioned before if it is part of the listing then NO GFCI.

But how do we know it is part of the listing vs not just a recommendation?

iwire

Staff member
If the instructions say 'unit must not be plugged into a GFCI outlet', which I doubt, then it would be a 110.3 violation to do it.

And if that is the case it still does not overrule 210.8. You would not be able to locate the unit in a commercial kitchen.

renosteinke

We've had this discussion before.

A customer of mine sold upscale residential refrigerators, the sort priced to copete with Sub-Zero. I forget the name, but these things cost at least triple what any sane person would spend. Their instructions were quite blunt: Do not put on a GFCI protected circuit.

I posted it here, I think I even provided a link - or, at least, a direct quote from the instructions. The fridges also had a similar sticker on the fridge. The manufacturer was adamant: NO GFCI. I think this was in 2008.

Upshot of the discussion then? Ignore the manufacturer, put it on a GFCI.

Mind you, I think everyone at the time forgot that the only SABC receptacles that had to be GFCI protected were the countertop ones.

UL is not going to list anything that needs to be installed in violation of any law or standard. Period. If there appears to be a conflict between the NEC and manufacturer's instructions, UL would be most interested in hearing about it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was at Northbrook for a White Book class last week. UL strongly insists that all information provided by the manufacturer is a 110.3(B) instruction.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the instruction for a sub-zero

For all built-in models, the electrical supply should be located within the shaded area shown in the illustration. Follow the National Electrical Code and local codes and ordinances when installing the receptacle. A separate circuit, servicing only this appliance is required. A ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) is not recommended and may cause interruption of operation.

IMO that does not allow us to circumvent the NEC. Of course, gfci is not required for the refrigerator- YET. Interesting in one breath they say to follow the code and the other they say otherwise-- If this were a commercial install then it would have to be on a gfci IMO.

UL is not going to list anything that needs to be installed in violation of any law or standard. Period. If there appears to be a conflict between the NEC and manufacturer's instructions, UL would be most interested in hearing about it.
What about when UL allowed the 'listing' of lighting switches to use the their ground as a current carrying conductor, basically a neutral. That's one of the reason there is a requirement to have a neutral at the switch box in the 2011 NEC. They found out that the current was 'cumulative' on the egc and it created a shock hazard when lots of those fancy 'energy sensing' switches were installed.

UL did that with their eyes wide open!

renosteinke

Sorry, Don ... but there's no way UL made such a balnket statement. Push UL on what you think you heard, and you'll get a lesson in UL's 'engineering double-talk.' Let me use but one example to make the point.

"Classified breakers." Square D says 'use only Square D.' UL says the classified breakers are fine. The little sticker in the panel saying 'use only Square D,' and the disclaimers in the instructions, are not - according to UL- considered as part of the listing and labeling instructions.

Naturally, this does put us in the strange position of having to discern exactly what matters and what is simply marketing.

Likewise, look to any UL standard and you will see it references other standards and codes, things like the NEC. Their standards are specifically written to not compromise anything in those other standards. That's why there was such a fuss over getting 'temporary power taps' listed; it was feared that their use would lead to various NEC violations.

More recently, there has been the entire AFCI furball. Relevant here is the assertion by NEMA that if there is any sort of false trip issue, it is the fault of the appliance- that there has NEVER been a false trip caused by a properly functioning listed appliance. (That's NEMA's assertion, not mine).

We also saw the re-engineering of GFCI's, and a change in the listing standard, about 10 years ago. The GFCI changes were specifically aimed at reducing false trips by motors, refrigerators, etc. There were, at the same time, changes made to the appliance standards. Upshot is: no "current" product should trip a GFCI falsely.

I'll repeat it: UL is not going to list anything whose proper use creates a code violation. Period. What you 'were told' is not UL's position at all.

renosteinke

Thank you, Dennis, for the quote from Sub-Zero.

They're not the brand I was trying to remember, but they are a comparable product. I did not know they also advised against the GFCI.

kwired

Electron manager
Aren't most commercial kitchen type refrigerators designed so they can be direct wired? They would not require GFCI protection if they are direct wired. If they are cord and plug connected then the location, and volts/amps ratings will be a factor in determining if GFCI protection is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.