I have a problem any help would be great. Electrical panel in bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with an install we did. We wired a small beach house where the equipment room is off the bathroom. You have to walk into the bathroom to get to the equipment room. The room has plumbing and the boiler in it. There is a header with bypass doors separating it from the bathroom. We installed the electrical panel and generator auto transfer switch in the equipment/boiler room and called for rough-in inspection. It passed no problem. Now comes the fun part... We trimmed out the house and called for a final inspection and the inspector failed to pass it stating the electrical panel is located in the bathroom. I said it's in the equipment room. When asked why he failed to call it on the rough in inspection he said he didn't see the sink. Do I have a leg to stand on? In retrospect I know I should have talked to the inspector prior to the RI install.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is a header with bypass doors separating it from the bathroom.
...We trimmed out the house and called for a final inspection and the inspector failed to pass it stating the electrical panel is located in the bathroom. I said it's in the equipment room.

Will he approve it if you put a latchable door with a jamb or a latchable pocket door instead of just bypass doors between the two spaces? That might be your simplest way out. Or is he insisting on a an entrance to the equipment room that does not go through the bathroom?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You mentioned a sink. Is there a sink in the area you call a bathroom also ?
Look at the NEC definition of a bathroom.
Once you come thru a door into the "room" with the panel and that "room" does not meet the NEC bathroom definition, I think you have a firm leg to stand upon.
If the "bathroom" sink is in that area, not so much.
Also, are there drawings for the job ? If so, do they designate anything ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Once you come thru a door into the "room" with the panel and that "room" does not meet the NEC bathroom definition, I think you have a firm leg to stand upon.
Which depends very strongly on what he considers a door between rooms versus the door of a cupboard, for example.

More info

More info

Here is a copy of the plan and 2 pictures of the panel. He is saying the only way he will pass it is if we installed a door between the toilet/shower area and the sink.

Attachments

• Plan Panel in Bath.pdf
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Panel II.jpg
    Panel II.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You mentioned a sink. Is there a sink in the area you call a bathroom also ?
Look at the NEC definition of a bathroom.
If the "bathroom" sink is in that area, not so much.

See my new post with pics and floor plan.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'd say the inspector would be very liberal if he didn't call that part of the bath.
Right now, I'd be more concerned about you having 110.26 working clearances once the boiler was installed.
Do you have a "Final" picture.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Here is a copy of the plan and 2 pictures of the panel. He is saying the only way he will pass it is if we installed a door between the toilet/shower area and the sink.

The plan shows bifold doors while your description says bypass (sliding closet type) doors. Which is it intended to be?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... He is saying the only way he will pass it is if we installed a door between the toilet/shower area and the sink.
That amounts to constructing a divider wall...!!!

Have you considered flopping the face direction of the panels. I know it'll take more work than you care to do...

We can flip the panel and the transfer switch to the hall but it's a going to be a pain.
The only angle I was going to go for is it's a separate room. It has a header and doors.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
We can flip the panel and the transfer switch to the hall but it's a going to be a pain.
The only angle I was going to go for is it's a separate room. It has a header and doors.

You shot yourself in the foot by labeling the "main" room BATH in the drawings and not labeling the other "room" as Utility Room or Equipment Room. I would also be less comfortable calling it a room if it does not have its own light fixture and switch.
I doubt that you can win with that argument.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Doors aren't required to distinguish a separate room. Purpose is more defining than structure. However, openness is detrimental to your particular case. IMO there is no technical definition to fall back on and separate this "closet" space from the bathroom... other than changing the immediately adjacent area to "not a bathroom," as the inspector suggests... or installing the more traditional full doors (which I doubt is going to happen).

mike7330

I don't see how you have clearances in the "Utility Closet" the closet is only 36 inches wide. The plans show the building furnance next to the panel. Is the furnance only 6 inches wide with all its piping ect.......???

Status
Not open for further replies.