Code Section on Load Breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon, all.

I am looking into specifying the new Neutrik powerCON True1 connectors in a power distribution panel for lighting fixtures. Can anyone direct me to language in the NEC that refers to "mains connectors" that must be rated for disconnecting under load. The question came up from an AV colleague who was under the impression that the older style powerCONs were not accepted as panel-mounted distribution.

Cheers!

I am looking into specifying the new Neutrik powerCON True1 connectors in a power distribution panel for lighting fixtures. Can anyone direct me to language in the NEC that refers to "mains connectors" that must be rated for disconnecting under load. The question came up from an AV colleague who was under the impression that the older style powerCONs were not accepted as panel-mounted distribution.

I don't think there is anything general about this in the NEC, look in article 406. It would be more up to the connector listing, does the manufacturer say it's OK to disconnect under load? (According to the Neutrik website "The powerCON TRUE1 is a connector with breaking capacity (CBC), i.e. it can be connected or disconnected under load or live.") What is the actual application? Is this a lighting patch panel? Will cords to the lights be connected here or do the connections go back into fixed wiring. (Oh, and which country are you working in? "Mains" suggest UK or Canada where the NEC would not apply.)

I don't think there is anything general about this in the NEC, look in article 406. It would be more up to the connector listing, does the manufacturer say it's OK to disconnect under load? (According to the Neutrik website "The powerCON TRUE1 is a connector with breaking capacity (CBC), i.e. it can be connected or disconnected under load or live.") What is the actual application? Is this a lighting patch panel? Will cords to the lights be connected here or do the connections go back into fixed wiring. (Oh, and which country are you working in? "Mains" suggest UK or Canada where the NEC would not apply.)

Thanks for your response. I was quoting the Neutrik site referring to "mains" but this is definitely a US job. It is a theatrical application for use with portable lighting fixtures to be plugged into switched power for performance purposes. I normally specify Hubble twist lock for general switched power but I would like to go to Neutrik for these fixtures to differentiate their purpose in the system.
I've reviewed Article 406 as well as 520 for any mention of connections under load and am coming up empty. Am I missing something?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks for your response. I was quoting the Neutrik site referring to "mains" but this is definitely a US job. It is a theatrical application for use with portable lighting fixtures to be plugged into switched power for performance purposes. I normally specify Hubble twist lock for general switched power but I would like to go to Neutrik for these fixtures to differentiate their purpose in the system.
I've reviewed Article 406 as well as 520 for any mention of connections under load and am coming up empty. Am I missing something?
As a practical matter, you would have to plan for the possibility that somebody would try to plug or unplug the connection while the light was on, whether the connector is used at a patchboard or overhead at the fixture. Whether the connector is required by code to meet that requirement should not play a role in your decision.
I assume that the standard twist-lock connectors are break rated, but I cannot show you a code section that requires it.

If you are trying to write a bid specification to force the use of PowerCon TRUE, then just add the requirement that the connector be rated for disconnect under load.

I have seen the Neutrik PowerCon connectors used for "mains" input connector on some pro audio equipment, but did not look to see whether they were the TRUE variety or not.

The only description I have found that addresses the subject is from wikipedia, so you can ignore it if you choose:
" ... that they are not designed to be connected/disconnected under load (which makes them unsuitable for equipment used by untrained personnel)." (speaking of the original PowerCon.)
Do you think that in your use they will be exposed to untrained personnel? And if not, do you trust the trained personnel? :)

Last edited:

DTLight

I'd recommend sticking with stage pin connectors if you can, or L5-20 twist-lock if stage pin connectors are not allowed. If the client needs to supplement the lighting by renting light fixtures for a special presentation, they will have to build adapters because the rental houses will only stock stage pin, twist lock, and Edison adapters. Stage pin is still the most popular of the three options by far.

Thanks for all of your input. After further research, this is what I have concluded. It is more a UL issue than a code issue from what I can find. The Neutrik True1 is very new and only UL recognized, while the straight pin and twist locks are UL listed. That means that the manufacturer will not provide the fixtures pre-wired with powercons due to the expense of then having to re-list the unit. Neither would they provide distribution panels with the receptacles installed due to having then to relist the panels as complete assemblies. We normally get around this with socapex connectors that are UL recognized but an industry standard for multi-circuit distribution, but at present, I would anticipate problems trying to get these to pass inspection in any permanent installation unless each assembly had a UL bug.
So, right now, it's stage pins with, perhaps, a different color plate and rigorous training for the crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.