Possible fire hazard in remote control light controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Many years ago, like 15, I purchased 3 Woods brand remote control receptacle controllers. One of them started acting up, so you would have to have the remote a couple feet away from the controller in order to make it work. Yesterday, it failed altogether. So I decided to do an autopsy.

The first thing I noticed was that the controller was warm, and not even on. Just plugged in. Removing the cover revealed this:

View attachment 8004

Here is are some close ups of the burnt resistor: (Sorry, no macro lens....)

View attachment 8007

View attachment 8006

So, I decided to check the other controllers. They still were in working order.

Like the first one, the controllers were warm, and not on. Here is a pic of what they look like on the inside:

View attachment 8008

Just starting to burn.

Needless to say, I removed them from service.

All it says on the controllers is Woods No. 2023

I would have never thought that these things would be a heat source when plugged in and not in use.

That bites, too. I really liked the things, but now I can't really trust them. I wonder of the other brands are the same way?

If you own any of these, you may want to take a look at them.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Have you checked for any recalls on record for the units? Unless there is something really unusual about your environment, it sure looks like a bad design or component choice.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Have you checked for any recalls on record for the units? Unless there is something really unusual about your environment, it sure looks like a bad design or component choice.

I am going with a manufacturing defect. These were purchased at Big Lots store many years ago. Big Lots, if you don't know, buys and sells mostly discontinued items.

I remember they were real cheap. That's why I bought 3 (all they had). I also knew I couldn't get any more. Who knows when they were sold before selling their end stock to Big Lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.