Neutral for Buck/Boost Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

The motor is rated 120/240. It is at the end of a 1500' run. I am concerned about the voltage drop on the motor.

Yea, even at 240 that's going to be an issue. Did you consider a step up then step down transformer?

You know, that could really help the situation. Convert the 208 to 480 (or 600?) then back down to 120/240 at the end of the pier?

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yea, even at 240 that's going to be an issue. Did you consider a step up then step down transformer?

You know, that could really help the situation. Convert the 208 to 480 (or 600?) then back down to 120/240 at the end of the pier?
I agree. The difference in the cost of wire may just pay for the extra transformer, perhaps even both (just thinking out loud here, no actual pricing has been done on my part).

kwired

Electron manager
The motor is rated 120/240. It is at the end of a 1500' run. I am concerned about the voltage drop on the motor.
Buck boost transformer has never been a good solution for voltage drop, you either need larger conductors or step up then step back down the voltage near the load. If you boost to point where you have desired voltage when under full load conditions, when there is little or no load voltage may be too high.

hardworkingstiff

Buck boost transformer has never been a good solution for voltage drop, you either need larger conductors or step up then step back down the voltage near the load. If you boost to point where you have desired voltage when under full load conditions, when there is little or no load voltage may be too high.
I think the buck boost was being considered to boost the 208 to 240 for the motors, not the VD.

cosmo

The original EC has walked off the job. They had run the wire out to the end of the pier and thats it. My friend built the pier and I am just trying to get his boat lift working as inexpensive as possible.

kwired

Electron manager
The original EC has walked off the job. They had run the wire out to the end of the pier and thats it. My friend built the pier and I am just trying to get his boat lift working as inexpensive as possible.
As inexpensive as possible would mean don't buy the buck/boost transformer.;)

I mentioned earlier that I thought this motor would operate with little or no troubles on 208 volts and that it also is not going to see a lot of demand which will also help extend its life. That was before the long feed was introduced into the mix.

Now we have even more complications. Put the buck/boost at the load end and you will draw even more current on the long conductors increasing voltage drop even more - makes it difficult to determine how much boost is necessary, plus when there is no load the voltage will be at the other extreme. Put the buck/boost at the supply end and you still have a long feed that will have voltage drop on it. You will still have high voltage with no load if you try to compensate and have desired voltage when at normal operating load. That is why I said a buck/boost is not a good solution for voltage drop.

If someone already ran this long feed you have less choices unless increasing the size of the feed is an option you are willing to entertain. I myself would probably run the motor with what you have and at normal loading conditions and see what kind of voltage and current exists before making any decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.