Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Is a bonding jumper required between cold and hot lines at the water heater? If so, which code cycle was it introduced.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is a bonding jumper required between cold and hot lines at the water heater? If so, which code cycle was it introduced.
IMO, no however there are some areas that require it. Most water heaters there is continuity thru the tank however if a dielectric fitting is used then a jumper would be required.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With the introduction of fiberglass and plastic fixtures, many of the local inspectors require the bonding of hot & cold water piping to assure both are bonded.

VIC1958

I would asume if the water heater connections are made with dialectic unions (which most are) that the hot water supply lines would not be bonded to the system which would be a huge saftey concern.

bobbymari

most inspectors require this upon a service upgrade in this area. actually cold hot and gas to be bonded at the water heater, let me correct that actually anywhere the 3 can be bonded , water heaters usually just the easiest spot. And I was told the dialectic unions are the biggest reson for the hold cold bond requirement by more than one inspector

jwelectric

I challenge anyone to find verbiage that says a metal water pipe must be electrically continuous. It is not in the NEC and was removed from Article 250 over thirty years ago.

No there is no verbiage to be found that requires a bonding jumper to be installed from hot to cold.

The verbiage can be found in 250.104 on the proper way to bond metal water pipes. In this section it is very clear that one end of the bonding jumper must land on the metal water pipe and the other end is NOT allowed to land on a metal water pipe unless it is being used as an electrode and then it must be with-in the first five feet after entering the building.

Just because an inspector WANTS something in no way makes it a code issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I challenge anyone to find verbiage that says a metal water pipe must be electrically continuous. It is not in the NEC and was removed from Article 250 over thirty years ago.

No there is no verbiage to be found that requires a bonding jumper to be installed from hot to cold.

The verbiage can be found in 250.104 on the proper way to bond metal water pipes. In this section it is very clear that one end of the bonding jumper must land on the metal water pipe and the other end is NOT allowed to land on a metal water pipe unless it is being used as an electrode and then it must be with-in the first five feet after entering the building.

Just because an inspector WANTS something in no way makes it a code issue.

250.104(A)(1) uses the word system(s). Wouldn't hot and cold water piping separated by an insulator be two separate systems?

jwelectric

250.104(A)(1) uses the word system(s). Wouldn't hot and cold water piping separated by an insulator be two separate systems?
Not in my opinion but that wouldn't matter concerning the bonding across a water heater would it?

Look at what is written in the NEC in the very section that you mention. It gives 4 places that the bonding conductor MUST land and I can?t find a water pipe listed.

(1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to
1- the service equipment enclosure,
2- the grounded conductor at the service,
3- the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size,
4- or to the one or more grounding electrodes used.
As an inspector should I see a jumper across a water heater I would write it up as a violation of the above mentioned code section.

Call it one piping system or call it two piping systems the code section you mentioned will not allow it to be across a water heater now will it?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mike I do not understand. It states that the metal water pipe system must be connected (bonded) to the 4 places-- are you saying that you cannot bond it to itself with a bonding jumper? I think that is stretching logic. So if you must connect the water pipe system back to the service etc, would you think a continuous run that jumps between the hot and cold and back to the service is a violation.

jwelectric

Mike I do not understand. It states that the metal water pipe system must be connected (bonded) to the 4 places-- are you saying that you cannot bond it to itself with a bonding jumper?
The code section is clear on where the bonding must land. If we are going to call the hot and cold two different systems then they must each be bonded back to one of the four points outlined in 250.104(A)(1) and anything short of this is a violation.

I think that is stretching logic.
No it is not stretching logic but it is what is written. Think of it like you would an LB and 314.28. Either we do as the code says or we don't. Which is it?

So if you must connect the water pipe system back to the service etc, would you think a continuous run that jumps between the hot and cold and back to the service is a violation.
I would say it is uncalled for in the first place or at least some of the fine folks we both know here in NC say so.

shepelec

and if the mixing valve is plastic ?

Then you would need a non-metallic bonding jumper.:D

I actually had an inspector tell me that I had to install a bond bushing on duct tile once. I replied witrh "a non-metallic bond bushing?"

I guess you had to be there........

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Then you would need a non-metallic bonding jumper.:D

I actually had an inspector tell me that I had to install a bond bushing on duct tile once. I replied witrh "a non-metallic bond bushing?"

I guess you had to be there........

I, along with many inspectors, have seen bond clamps on PVC.

Of course, you have to keep in mind Art 680 requires "water bonding" :D

bobbymari

I, along with many inspectors, have seen bond clamps on PVC.

Of course, you have to keep in mind Art 680 requires "water bonding" :D

on another note but kind of goes with what you just said. What is protocal on service upgrades on these newer plastic water systems? I haven't run into a complete one yet, but partial repairs or additions done in plastic water lines. Even the water mains are being installed in plastic. I've always found some copper to bond but what about these houses that are now being done with plastic water lines? Do we bypass this requirement and move on to other metallic piping I/E gas lines. Or just go with the 2 electrode more than 6' apart route?

John120/240

on another note but kind of goes with what you just said. What is protocal on service upgrades on these newer plastic water systems? I haven't run into a complete one yet, but partial repairs or additions done in plastic water lines. Even the water mains are being installed in plastic. I've always found some copper to bond but what about these houses that are now being done with plastic water lines? Do we bypass this requirement and move on to other metallic piping I/E gas lines. Or just go with the 2 electrode more than 6' apart route?

For homes plumbed in PEX bonding across the water heater is a moot point. Same logic goes for the main city water supply when in

plastic pipe. To bond gas piping or not is a municipal decision some do, some don't require it.

Ufer grounding is said to be a better ground than any ground rod. Of course ground rods could be supplmental if you choose to

install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.