Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

There used to be language in this section requiring simultaneously disconnecting the ungrounded conductors of a multiwire branch circuit supplying a free standing type partition. I have read the proposals that changed this section and removed this wording and understand the basic premise. My thought however is the actual connection to these types of partitions, commonly these connections share the grounded conductor between 3 ungrounded conductors. If I pull a cable with 3 seperate circuits each with a seperate grounded conductor and the fitting used to tie into the system is as I have described above do you need to provide a means to simultaneously disconnect the undgrounded conductors?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The requirement only applies to MWBC's, circuits with separate neutrals need not comply. I'm not really understanding what you've stated in the last sentence.

joebell

The "whip" as we call it around here is a peice of liquidtite with conductors that originate at the connector that is inserted into the partition. The other end is hard wired into the system at a junction box.Typically these "whips" contain 3 circuit conductors (black,red and blue) with a common neutral or grounded conductor. So if I pull 3 seperate circuits and connect the 3 neutrals to the one neutral of the furniture whip does this now require handle ties or a 3 pole CB?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The "whip" as we call it around here is a peice of liquidtite with conductors that originate at the connector that is inserted into the partition. The other end is hard wired into the system at a junction box.Typically these "whips" contain 3 circuit conductors (black,red and blue) with a common neutral or grounded conductor. So if I pull 3 seperate circuits and connect the 3 neutrals to the one neutral of the furniture whip does this now require handle ties or a 3 pole CB?
Yes, but you'd be paralleling neutrals... and for smaller than 1/0 AWG, that's a violation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Yes, that's why I was confused, if the whip only has one neutral you cannot use 3 circuits with 3 neutrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.