transformer configuraton issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
I have a weird situation involving transformers that I could use some advice on.
The load is a 120/240V panel located quite far from the power source. At the moment it is connected to two legs of a 600V three phase generator and stepped down locally with a 15KVA 600V:120/240V transformer. All of that works fine.

The problem is that the client wants change this load over to another source that is 120/208V three phase. This system is also located far from the load so it needs to be stepped up due to voltage drop considerations. I want to use the existing step down transformer but I have a voltage mismatch issue. In an ideal world I would use a 208V:600V single phase transformer and away we go, but I think that is a custom unit. We have a transformer matching the step down at the site but the problem is that that arrangement would expect to be fed with 240V and we are only giving it 208V, so naturally the output voltage is only 208V.

The best option I see so far is to put a 208V to 240V booster transformer ahead of the step up/down system, but I'm wondering if I am missing a simpler option.

thanks for the suggestions.

transient

transformer configuraton issue

Convince the client to retain 600/120/240V ,,but if he is adament then
I guess you have no choice but to go with 15-20% boost transformer (consider transmission looses also if sending @ long distance)
Reagrds

Transient

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi,
I have a weird situation involving transformers that I could use some advice on.
The load is a 120/240V panel located quite far from the power source. At the moment it is connected to two legs of a 600V three phase generator and stepped down locally with a 15KVA 600V:120/240V transformer. All of that works fine.

The problem is that the client wants change this load over to another source that is 120/208V three phase. This system is also located far from the load so it needs to be stepped up due to voltage drop considerations. I want to use the existing step down transformer but I have a voltage mismatch issue. In an ideal world I would use a 208V:600V single phase transformer and away we go, but I think that is a custom unit. We have a transformer matching the step down at the site but the problem is that that arrangement would expect to be fed with 240V and we are only giving it 208V, so naturally the output voltage is only 208V.

The best option I see so far is to put a 208V to 240V booster transformer ahead of the step up/down system, but I'm wondering if I am missing a simpler option.

thanks for the suggestions.

Let me get this straight. You have a 3 phase 600V generator. 2 lines of it are run to a remote 600:120/240 transformer.

The customer now wants to use a 208/120V 3 phase source instead of the generator to power it.

Buy a custom xfmr to pump it up from 208 to 600V and be done with it. If you are opposed to a custom transformer there are OTS 600:120V units you could use wired backwards. would be a pretty large L-N load but might be doable.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
would not surprise me one bit. a few phone calls would likely solve this pretty quick.
Just doing a quick search, I found a SqD model... but its taps are FCBN (full capacity below normal). For 208V to 600V would need one with taps FCAN (full capacity above normal).

Status
Not open for further replies.