Taps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,
I'm neeeding a little help understanding a situation I was called to yesterday. I have a customer who has a mental health facility. It was an motel converted to this facility so all the rooms are in one long line. Each room has a 220 volt window A/C and Heater. They were having issues with one of the AC units coming on and off. Once inspecting the issue was a bad connection. The problem is how to properly repair. The system has a 2" PVC conduit running the back wall with 4/0 copper. At every room they have a 30 amp disconnect for the AC in that room. The best I can tell the #10 wire is wrapped then taped to the 4/0. The disconnect box is only 8" wide so there is no room to work with the Large wires. I seldom use the tap rules, so My unserstanding of them is limited. The entire job looked sloppy to me, but I was told a licensed electrician did the install. Any help would be appriciated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Assuming your tap conductor has an ampacity of at least 10% of the OCP on your 4/0, you seem to meet the 240.21(C)
10 ft tap rule. There are several mechanical splice devices that might allow a proper connection. All-in-ll, sounds like a poor design though.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Good Morning,
I'm neeeding a little help understanding a situation I was called to yesterday. I have a customer who has a mental health facility. It was an motel converted to this facility so all the rooms are in one long line. Each room has a 220 volt window A/C and Heater. They were having issues with one of the AC units coming on and off. Once inspecting the issue was a bad connection. The problem is how to properly repair. The system has a 2" PVC conduit running the back wall with 4/0 copper. At every room they have a 30 amp disconnect for the AC in that room. The best I can tell the #10 wire is wrapped then taped to the 4/0. The disconnect box is only 8" wide so there is no room to work with the Large wires. I seldom use the tap rules, so My unserstanding of them is limited. The entire job looked sloppy to me, but I was told a licensed electrician did the install. Any help would be appriciated.
"Wrap taps" as I call them are old school. Some just wrapped and taped. Others would use a "knotted tap splice" (< Google Images search term). And yet others would go the extra mile and solder 'em before taping.

Perhaps you're looking for...

http://www.idealindustries.com/prod...ap-connectors&div=0&l1=terminal_blocks_strips

https://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetai...qTJTkaQ6Q==&fjjfhjhj=MnDiB55TRZri2mpKCFehSA==

http://www.nsiindustries.com/produc...s/easy-tap-insulation-piercing-connector.aspx

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Assuming your tap conductor has an ampacity of at least 10% of the OCP on your 4/0, you seem to meet the 240.21(C)
10 ft tap rule. There are several mechanical splice devices that might allow a proper connection. All-in-ll, sounds like a poor design though.

I don't have an issue with the design presuming it meets all the rules and the workmanship is adequate.

It is functional and cost effective. What more does one need?

Status
Not open for further replies.