receptacle required??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
According to 210.52(a)(2) a wall wider than 24" requires a receptacle. how about if that wall is behind a door? does it still require a receptacle?

It is basically useless because the bedroom door has to be closed all the time in order for that receptacle to be useful. I say YES it is required , but want to get your idea.

20130130_125144-1.jpg

jwelectric

They are not always required to be installed behind doors
550.13(G)
Receptacle Outlets Not Required.
Receptacle outlets shall not be required in the following locations:
(2) In the wall space behind doors that can be opened fully against a wall surface

One set of rules for a site built home and another set of rules if you pull the home in.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
To add to this, how critical do inspectors get with this dimension. Is 24" measured during rough-in from opening to opening or are there allowance for trim width, i.e. rough frame is 27" jamb to jamb but after trim is 22 1/4" flat wall space. Does it need a receptacle?

kwired

Electron manager
To add to this, how critical do inspectors get with this dimension. Is 24" measured during rough-in from opening to opening or are there allowance for trim width, i.e. rough frame is 27" jamb to jamb but after trim is 22 1/4" flat wall space. Does it need a receptacle?

Code does not specifically say rough or finished opening. I would guess most AHJ go by finished opening. If it is even close to requiring a receptacle at rough in time, best policy is to put one in.

kwired

Electron manager
According to 210.52(a)(2) a wall wider than 24" requires a receptacle. how about if that wall is behind a door? does it still require a receptacle?

It is basically useless because the bedroom door has to be closed all the time in order for that receptacle to be useful. I say YES it is required , but want to get your idea.

View attachment 8030

For the 6-12 rule first outlet must be within 6 feet of the door opening no matter which way it hinges, if that wall space is counted why not a similar 2 foot (plus) wall space?

Steviechia2

The trim would still be considered wall space.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
It seems that no matter which forum I am on, I get beat up on my replies. Seriously, as an inspector, I get presented with these type of arguements all the time by people trying to sneak by. I will use the rough-in space to determine whether a receptacle is needed. Maybe 3 in last 10 years have tried to argue because they would have to call the electrician back for another trip. Suprisingly, the same mistake is not made on any future jobs by the electrician. Luckily wall space is defined as broken by doorways, fireplaces and similar openings. Does not mention finished wall space so I am glad I have been viewing it right. Yes sometimes I do like to rock the boat with some off the wall real life agruements I get in the field. I won't even get into the receptacle mounted behind the lower cabinet door to meet penisular requirement. Whoops, just did.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems that no matter which forum I am on, I get beat up on my replies. Seriously, as an inspector, I get presented with these type of arguements all the time by people trying to sneak by. I will use the rough-in space to determine whether a receptacle is needed. Maybe 3 in last 10 years have tried to argue because they would have to call the electrician back for another trip. Suprisingly, the same mistake is not made on any future jobs by the electrician. Luckily wall space is defined as broken by doorways, fireplaces and similar openings. Does not mention finished wall space so I am glad I have been viewing it right. Yes sometimes I do like to rock the boat with some off the wall real life agruements I get in the field. I won't even get into the receptacle mounted behind the lower cabinet door to meet penisular requirement. Whoops, just did.

Who beat up on your reply? You brought up a point worth mentioning, and people are simply responding with their opinion. The NEC is not all that clear on whether or not it intends this dimension to be rough opening or finished opening. You kind of have to assume it means finished opening yet when selecting placement of said receptacle, which is usually at rough in time, exact finish dimensions are not necessarily known in some cases.

I do feel a little sorry for the guys that have inspectors that will measure a wall at rough and decide that 22" doesn't need a receptacle, then come back and measure from finished opening to finished opening and find it is 24" or more and tell you that you need a receptacle. But if it is close at rough why not install the receptacle and avoid this potential problem later?

I know when it comes to the 6-12 general rule if I have a receptacle that is 6 feet from a doorway at rough in and ends up at 6 foot 1 inch after trim, most of the inspectors I ever encounter will probably let it go, but if you know you have an inspector that is very particular on this or even an inspector that is new to you, why challenge them? Most of the time it costs very little to add a receptacle at rough in time as compared to adding one after everything is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.