ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...and some utilities require it in the meter enclosure. The NEC permits the GEC connection to the grounded conductor to be at any point from the load end of the service drop or lateral to the inside of the service disconnect enclosure.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
And I have never seen a meter that has a lug for a GEC.
Our state rules do not allow bonding GEC in meter socket.
As Don points out the NEC allows the connection between the service drop and service equipment enclosure. Its most commonly done in the service enclosure as thats the easiest location to make the connection.
The AHJ would likely wonder whats up if it was done at the service drop. This violates the "don't confuse the inspector" rule.

Hendrix

Rick, I have never seen any meter that does not have provisions for the GEC.

Roger
Neither have I :happyno: Maybe an East coast West coast thing. I think that the termination has to be "accessable" and with a seal on the meter socket, maybe it be considered non accessable.

Last edited:

templdl

To my point in my post #3 re "can i run the ground wire from the rod into the meter socket instead of into the panel?
" So you run the EGC to the meter socket and then what do yo do with it? If there was a grounding lug does that mean that you have to run a separate EGC and neutral to your main load center from the meter?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently failed a City of San Jose inspection for this. Inspector said he was following PG&E's greenbook.

Tried fruitlessly to reason with him.

The inspector was correct.

From the Green Book:
Applicants must locate the terminations (e.g., ground bus) for their
grounding electrode conductors outside of any section that PG&E
seals.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To my point in my post #3 re "can i run the ground wire from the rod into the meter socket instead of into the panel?
" So you run the EGC to the meter socket and then what do yo do with it? If there was a grounding lug does that mean that you have to run a separate EGC and neutral to your main load center from the meter?

No you would not, the Grounded Conductor serves as the fault clearing conductor on the line side of the service disconnect.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The connection point must be accessible, the meter enclosure is locked by the POCO. Doesn't sound accessible to me. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The GEC can be run to the Meter Socket or the 1st means of disconnect around here.
I guess one could argue that the termination in the meter base would be accessible if the power company came and took the lock off.

Besides, why do you need to access it? How often to you go around tightening the grounding electrode conductor after its originally inatalled ?

I rather prefer it being terminated in the meter base, that way no body messes with it.

Most of the time your only going to be messing with that termination is if you have the power company out there troubleshooting something wrong with the Service anyway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The connection point must be accessible, the meter enclosure is locked by the POCO. Doesn't sound accessible to me. :)
And the other connectioms do not need to be accessible? Are locked electrical rooms accessible?

Along with Jap's point, how many times have any of us been out in the middle of the night to fix a loose GEC connection?

Roger

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And the other connectioms do not need to be accessible? Are locked electrical rooms accessible?

Along with Jap's point, how many times have any of us been out in the middle of the night to fix a loose GEC connection?

Roger

Am I remiss in thinking that the aforementioned accessibility is a requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.