Spec book versus sheet notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
This normally happens the other way around where the spec book is more restrictive than the
sheet notes.A project I'm pricing right now dis-qualifies AC/MC and NM cabling in the sheet notes,
But allows it in the spec book as long as qualified in the bid.All in all I'm worried even if I do
qualify my bid using MC cabling .I could get held to the more restrictive note.If it came down it,
legally where would I stand?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know just what you mean by sheet notes.

We occasionally get generic specs along with RFQs where in the body of the RFQ spec requirements are either relaxed or tightened from what is in the specs.

I would just be clear in your proposal what it is that you are bidding.

Be careful what the P.O. says when you get it as well. Make sure it does not reference the spec or "sheet notes" without also referencing your proposal. A lot times purchasing agents just routinely reference the spec or RFQ.

Last edited:

USMC1302

If your job has spec book and drawings, usually in the front-end if references the more restrictive measures would apply. I am guessing you mean there are notes on the drawing sheets that prohibit NM, etc. Why not send an RFI to be sure?

cdslotz

Sheet notes are usually specific for that job. Especially if it is a custom building with that has been designed ground up.
However, tenant finish spaces can have sheet notes that are "boiler plate", generic that get used over and over.
I would definitely RFI for clarification.
I have never heard of a spec that allows MC if you qualify. Most specs are pretty clear where MC is allowed or not allowed and where conduit (EMT,PVC,GRC) to be used. Some specs don't mention MC at all!
Most jobs have verbiage in the specs that state if there is a discrepancy between the drawings and specs, the specs have precedence.
Is the EE stamp on the drawings the same as the issued specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.