nm cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

We have an old 3 story apt building that we are planning on completely gutting (electrically speaking.) My question is this. I recall our common practice was not to use romex in dwellings 3 storys or more as well as in commercial buildings, as I said it was always just our practice and never really questioned. I would like to use 4/3 romex for our subfeeds in this building(again 3 floors). Ive searched 334.12 and dont see any uses not permitted that fit this catagory. Am I missing something or am I good to go with the romex in a 3 story multi family dwelling?

JoeStillman

I think the code used to explicitly say what height of building you can use NM cable in. Now, you have to refer to Annex E. See table E.2. I realize it doesn't say anything about NM cable, but it does tell you how high the buildings that NM is allowed in can be.

You can use it in a 3-story apartment because the building is allowed to be of type III, IV or V construction.

bobbymari

I think the code used to explicitly say what height of building you can use NM cable in. Now, you have to refer to Annex E. See table E.2. I realize it doesn't say anything about NM cable, but it does tell you how high the buildings that NM is allowed in can be.

You can use it in a 3-story apartment because the building is allowed to be of type III, IV or V construction.

thanks bro

bobbymari

ok I see the annex, type 111 and v non rated are limited to 2 story are most old apt buildings listed as 1 hour rated? confused on annex E describing the hour rating

Status
Not open for further replies.