Bathroom fixture tails

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is common practice to use a tail for bathroom fixtures and undercab fixtures. Someone suggested that only if the fixture was fluorescent could this be done. I have seen literally thousands of incandescent bath bars wired this way. Now a-days of course it would require occupancy sensors etc.

The question is what code would rule over this installation? And is the fluorescent really a requirement?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know what you mean by a tail. Please explain further. Are you talking about installing the fixture without a box- direct wired???

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
It is common practice to use a tail for bathroom fixtures and undercab fixtures. Someone suggested that only if the fixture was fluorescent could this be done. I have seen literally thousands of incandescent bath bars wired this way. Now a-days of course it would require occupancy sensors etc.

The question is what code would rule over this installation? And is the fluorescent really a requirement?

I Don't think there is a code for that,If the fixture is made to have splices in it then there is no problem..

Welcome to the forum....:thumbsup:

marti smith

I think he's referring to this one (it will usually say on the box or fixture if it can have through-wiring).

410.21 Temperature Limit of Conductors in Outlet Boxes.

Luminaires shall be of such construction or installed so that the conductors in outlet boxes shall not be subjected to temperatures greater than that for which the conductors are rated.

Branch-circuit wiring, other than 2-wire or multiwire branch circuits supplying power to luminaires connected together, shall not be passed through an outlet box that is an integral part of a luminaire unless the luminaire is identified for through-wiring.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My vote is for a tail directly into the fixture meaning that there is no outlet box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I too have seen and have done this install. Generally if there is a 1/2" ko in the back plate of the fixture then I have no issue with a direct wire to it but lately I install the boxes before trim out. You have to force that decision to be made.

Yes I mean tails for direct wiring to the fixture. I understand the fixture must be rated for use as a junction box. But wanted to see if I had missed anything as to other code governing such an install.

It seems to be the general agreement that other than the fixture being rated there is no other code. So an "outlet box" is not required to install a fixture.

@ Dennis, boxes would be nice sometimes but builders are very reluctant to give hard measurements for bath bar fixtures because they never end up centered over the sink. And moving a box makes a lot more mess than moving a tail behind the fixture.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes builders are reluctant because they can never get organized. I insist on decisions being made and usually use a bar box in case I have to adjust it. IMO, if they cannot give details then they should not be running the job. Often we have two sconces on both sides of the mirror. In that case I want boxes and they need to get me the dimensions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What do you do when the vanity is on an exterior wall and they use the closed cell foam. Leave a wire loose there and you'll never see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.