series rates residential kAIC rating CH cbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
My Cutler Hammer CH series 200A panelboard has a 35kaic main and the new 3rd gen AFCI cbs have a "standard" 10kaic rating.
Does the 35kAIC main protect the 10kAIC cbs under it? Is it current limiting?

The lesser quality BR series distribution breakers have a 22kAIC rating.
I'm going to call the factory tomorrow but I don't see why the lesser BR cbs have a higher rating.

I'm not worried about it because this a pole mounted xfmr over 100 feet away.
We also have surge protector in the panel.
any ideas?

Cat #: CH42BPN200K
200 AMP, 120/240V AC, 1-Phase, Main Breaker Loadcenter, 35 kAIC, 42-Space, 42-Pole, Copper Bus, NEMA 1 - Indoor.

Cat #: CHSPT2ULTRA
Surge Protection Device, 4-Mode, Type 2, 1-Phase, 120/240V AC, 2-Pole, 3-Wire, Max Surge Current Per Phase: 108 kA, NEMA 4, Panel Mount.

Cat #: CHCAF120PN
20 Amp, 1-Pole, Type CH Combination Fireguard/Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter with Plug-On Neutral, Common Trip, 10 kAIC, 120/240 VAC.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Mis-applying the AIC rating of a breaker can have devastating results, it is all about the amount of fault current the breaker tries to interrupt.

The 'quality' of the breaker, such as CH or BR has nothing to do with its possible AIC ratings. In fact both types are available in both 10k and 22k versions. The electronics inside of the AFCI may be the problem.

Eaton should be able to tell you if there is a series-combination rating between the AFCI and the main breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.