Tap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was looking at the tap section (240.2).

Wasn't there once a provision that allowed for taps to be unlimited in length as long as they did not leave the enclosure they originated in?

I can't find it now, so I either imagined it, it is gone, or I just cannot find it.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I was looking at the tap section (240.20).

Wasn't there once a provision that allowed for taps to be unlimited in length as long as they did not leave the enclosure they originated in?

I can't find it now, so I either imagined it, it is gone, or I just cannot find it.
Not that I recall. I looked back as far as 1996. Not much different than today. Only outside taps are unlimited length.

ice

cppoly

Could be wrong here but if it's tap conductors for motors, the tap conductors can be unlimited in length if the taps have the same ampacity as the feeder conductors as per 430.28(3).

cppoly

it is not a tap if it has the same ampacity.

According to 430.28 it is. If you have multiple motors tapped from feeder conductors in pull box with no OCPD at the point of tap, what are the conductors called that feed each motor even if they have the same ampacity as the feeders?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
According to 430.28 it is. If you have multiple motors tapped from feeder conductors in pull box with no OCPD at the point of tap, what are the conductors called that feed each motor even if they have the same ampacity as the feeders?

by definition a tap conductor has less ampacity than the OCPD feeding it.

those conductors are part of the feeder circuit IMO if they don't reduce in size.

jwelectric

The definition of tap conductor found in 240 applies to 240 only. Taps on service conductors 230.33 and motors 430.28 do not have to fit the definition of 240.

Definitions found in Article 100 apply to the entire code but definitions found in an Article apply to that article only.

I can?t remember just how many times tap conductors are mentioned in the NEC but I know it is many times. We have branch circuits taps, service taps, grounding electrode taps, feeder taps, motor taps, crane and hoist taps, and many more including tap dancing. :lol:

The only one of all these taps that have to conform to the definition found in 240 are those which are found in 240.

Status
Not open for further replies.