====SUBPANEL RESIDENTIAL===

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
George the statement, I believe, refers to branch circuits and feeders in the panel that serve the entire load of the dwelling not the feeders that serve the panel.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So what is the point of the plural "feeders" in the sentence?

If the panel is a 200A Main Breaker Panelboard, then the feeder would be from the main disconnect to the 100% panelboard.

George the statement, I believe, refers to branch circuits and feeders in the panel that serve the entire load of the dwelling not the feeders that serve the panel.
Exactly (except that one "s").

The clause, "either by branch circuits or by feeders, or both" could be completely removed and not cause a major impact on the meaning of the sentence.

Thanks for all your input!

Thanks for all your input!

It is a perfect example how everyone interprets the code different. I have several responses but It doesn't seem that anyone agrees with each other. Should the code really be this hard to interpret something so basic?? Is this why 2 different inspectors gave me different answers???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is a perfect example how everyone interprets the code different. I have several responses but It doesn't seem that anyone agrees with each other. Should the code really be this hard to interpret something so basic?? Is this why 2 different inspectors gave me different answers???
You may be getting different opinions on your install because you have not full disclosed all the necessary detail.

Questions:

Does the 200A panel have a main breaker?

If not, is there a service disconnect ahead of the 200A panel?

That said, there are many varied interpretations of Code. That's one of the reasons this forum was established...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You may be getting different opinions on your install because you have not full disclosed all the necessary detail.

Questions:

Does the 200A panel have a main breaker?

If not, is there a service disconnect ahead of the 200A panel?

That said, there are many varied interpretations of Code. That's one of the reasons this forum was established...

I agree that more details would help but does it matter? He stated in post #10 that it has a 100 amp breaker.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree that more details would help but does it matter? He stated in post #10 that it has a 100 amp breaker.
Yes, he stated he had a 100A breaker in the 200A panel,,, but he has not stated whether there is another disconnect ahead of the 100A breaker. If there is, the 100A breaker is not the "main disconnect" and the installation would fail to meet the requirement.

200 AMP MAIN

200 AMP MAIN

Yes, he stated he had a 100A breaker in the 200A panel,,, but he has not stated whether there is another disconnect ahead of the 100A breaker. If there is, the 100A breaker is not the "main disconnect" and the installation would fail to meet the requirement.

Yes the 200amp panel is my main disconnect. The homeowner originally had a 100amp main panel in basement and wanted a 200amp service upgrade for future. He added attached garage on home so I put 200amp panel in garage and replaced old 100amp panel in basement with new one and wired it as a sub-panel. If I didnt put 200amp panel in garage and put it in basement I would have had to add another disconnecting means becuase the basement panel it 50' away from meter. I hope this clarifys.

200amp panel

200amp panel

Yes the 200amp panel is my main disconnect. The homeowner originally had a 100amp main panel in basement and wanted a 200amp service upgrade for future. He added attached garage on home so I put 200amp panel in garage and replaced old 100amp panel in basement with new one and wired it as a sub-panel. If I didnt put 200amp panel in garage and put it in basement I would have had to add another disconnecting means becuase the basement panel it 50' away from meter. I hope this clarifys.

Also the 200amp currently does not supply any other load. The 100amp sub-panel is currently feeding whole house. I am sure in the future the homeowner will be adding circuits to the 200amp panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.