Neutral required in switch box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

So where does that leave low voltage lighting? I just came of a job where the whole floor lighting was 277V with a low voltage switch for lutron lighting package, some had 2 different switches per box! Yes we where using a divider mud ring.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Usually there is high voltage in the box as well but if it is strictly low voltage then there is no need for a neutral. Technically the art. does not give exception for that but I can't imagine why it would be needed.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I was looking at the 2014 Draft and it seems they are going to follow Massachusetts lead where if you have multiple locations for the lighting then the neutral is only required in one box as long as it is visible from the room it serves.

I am surprised they have not addressed this issue of the low voltage switching because it has come up before. Basically the grounded conductor is there for the use of sensors timers etc so it would not serve any purpose to install it in a low voltage switching system.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Along with this, we need a more spacious switchbox. Boxes already get crowded and an extra wire often gets a 1g box over the limit. I'd hate to go back to the old way of power to lights, switch legs down. That lets the light box hold more of the splices and the in/out hots but also means taking down lights with any future troubleshooting. But feed in/feed out, 14-2-2 to 1 switch, 14-2-2 to another, makes 13 wires in light box, 5 in each switchbox, 2 for device makes 7. If a 4 way needed, 14-3 switch to switch would increase 3w sw's to 10, 4w sw would be 9.

I have seen a through the wall switchbox that would be great for back to back switches. I don't recall volume or capacity but would have to be pretty good. Of course, not all switches can be back to back.
A standard size box with the side pocket would be good too, similar to the blue Carlon shallow ones sold at Lowe's & HD. I use them for mobile homes occasionally.

4" deep boxes with mud rings could be used but are costly and time consuming.

BTW, has anyone seen a 4 way switch with dimmer or motion sensor? I don't recall seeing them anywhere.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Lutron Maestro switches as well as others are dimmable from any switch box. They are not your typical 4 way but that doesn't matter

lukyleo

The inspector is right

The inspector is right

I'm from Tampa, FL and I ask one inspector about the neutral on the switch box and he told me that some of the switches today require neutal like some motion sensors, pilot light switches and some dimmers it was required to have the neutral there even if is not used at this time for future use if the owner decide to upgrade to an electronic switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.