4/3 mc cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that MC comes in sizes up to 500 kcmil maybe larger if you use aluminum.

kwired

Electron manager
I think you can get almost any imaginable size, number of conductors, and conductor type for almost any cable type. If it is not stocked by a supplier, then you may need to order a minimum quantity and/or pay extra fees to get what you want.

iwire

Staff member
Yes but few suppliers stock any thing bigger that #10. If you need enough of it, you get pretty much any size and combo.

It is a regional thing, I can get almost any size type of MC by the next day around here.

We use a lot of 4/0-4 MC and sometimes larger.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think you can get almost any imaginable size, number of conductors, and conductor type for almost any cable type. If it is not stocked by a supplier, then you may need to order a minimum quantity and/or pay extra fees to get what you want.
I don't think this is the case for NM cable -- 334.104

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think this is the case for NM cable -- 334.104

NEC puts a restriction on some things like this, and it would be a NEC violation to install something larger than mentioned there.

I bet if you paid what they wanted you could still special order it though. Maybe you want to use it someplace where NEC doesn't apply.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NEC puts a restriction on some things like this, and it would be a NEC violation to install something larger than mentioned there.

I bet if you paid what they wanted you could still special order it though. Maybe you want to use it someplace where NEC doesn't apply.

Why would you esp. if SE cable is available-- ser copper in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.