Panel in an X-ray room

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I have inspector in the field saying it's a violation. It takes a while to process so I haven't actually seen the letter to see what he could be citing so I thought I'd ask here. Any code reference that says you can't put a panel in an x-ray room?

Hendrix

I have inspector in the field saying it's a violation. It takes a while to process so I haven't actually seen the letter to see what he could be citing so I thought I'd ask here. Any code reference that says you can't put a panel in an x-ray room?
Ask him to show you the section that dissallows it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree. In some situations it could actually be required. We will put the equipment disconnect or panel inside the room with an EPO button in the control booth if we can not put the disconnect or panel itself in the booth, both methods are common installations

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
It is not a violation of anything in NEC. Maybe some other code?

MRI equipment could be a problem to have something like this, but that is a problem with the equipment and not the NEC.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE

I was told that it could take a week to get the actual violation letter so, since there's a time crunch, I wanted to get opinions here before saying whether or not we should wait and fight it or recommend doing the crazy change order to get it relocated.

kwired

Electron manager
I was told that it could take a week to get the actual violation letter so, since there's a time crunch, I wanted to get opinions here before saying whether or not we should wait and fight it or recommend doing the crazy change order to get it relocated.

I would have an interest in seeing what the violation is either way, as I am having a hard time finding anything in NEC that would be a violation, unless there are working clearance violations or something of that nature but not the simple fact that a panel is not allowed in an X-ray room.

If this is a violation of some other code - I may not have much to argue about.

Why is it going to take a week? Do they need that much time to create a violation if they cant' find one otherwise?

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I would have an interest in seeing what the violation is either way, as I am having a hard time finding anything in NEC that would be a violation, unless there are working clearance violations or something of that nature but not the simple fact that a panel is not allowed in an X-ray room.

If this is a violation of some other code - I may not have much to argue about.

Why is it going to take a week? Do they need that much time to create a violation if they cant' find one otherwise?

LOL, probably. When it comes to NYC bureaucracy I find it fruitless most of the time to ask why something would take so long. I once had fire alarm drawings approved that took 2 days to get the approval letter because they said it took that long to scan the drawings into their system.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just out of curiosity, does this panel pertain strictly to the xray room? Is it shown on the xray manufacturers drawings?

Roger

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Just out of curiosity, does this panel pertain strictly to the xray room? Is it shown on the xray manufacturers drawings?

Roger

No, it was a local panel for the suite. This is a small chiropractic office that did not even have an x-ray control room. They didn't want the local panel in any office and it was agreed upon that there would be clearance in the x-ray room.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
No, it was a local panel for the suite. This is a small chiropractic office that did not even have an x-ray control room. They didn't want the local panel in any office and it was agreed upon that there would be clearance in the x-ray room.

Does it have any penetrations through the lead sheilding? Or is it surface mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.