Prevailing wage newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
So, for all of my career I've never done prevailing wage work. One of my best GCs has asked me to bid on a job at an airport. Nothing huge, but it is prevailing wage. Is there a simple way to adapt my unit pricing that works well for me into prevailing wage territory? Any tips or tricks as I venture into new territory? Is the paperwork a pain like I've heard? The job calls out for 120 days working nights from 10p to 5a. Do I need to staff it as such?

I've worked on quite a few of them, and even though I wasn't part of the bidding, the PM at the time told me this: "Location is the first part of the equation and the second is job titles. Whatever you do, make sure you have your ducks in a row." I'm assuming the ducks in a row comment came from the multiple times random members were interviewed, with several of the questions pertaining to wages received on the "scale" job. Also, benefits provided also factor into the equation.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So, for all of my career I've never done prevailing wage work. One of my best GCs has asked me to bid on a job at an airport. Nothing huge, but it is prevailing wage. Is there a simple way to adapt my unit pricing that works well for me into prevailing wage territory? Any tips or tricks as I venture into new territory? Is the paperwork a pain like I've heard? The job calls out for 120 days working nights from 10p to 5a. Do I need to staff it as such?

You will need to provide certified payrolls for everyone working for the prevailing wage. By the way, is this prevailing wage (usually a state thing) or Davis-Bacon (federal jobs)? The paperwork is a royal PIA. You may not be used to keeping track of time as tightly as the law requires. You may need to create new forms and institute new procedures both in the field and in the office.

The GC, at the time he solicits the bid, is supposed to provide you with the prevailing wage schedule. They hardly ever do. You can go the the US Dept of Labor web site and look it up for yourself. It's broken down by county and often there are multiple divisions within the county. It can literally make a difference which side of the street the job is on. I've heard of one job where the line ran through the job site! Here's what one looks like for my county:

----------------------------------------------------------------
ELEC0102-023 06/04/2012

Rates Fringes

ELECTRICIAN (Including Low
Voltage Wiring)
Cable Splicer...............$ 53.99 55.0%
Electrician.................$ 48.93 55.5%

Work forty ft. or more above the ground or protective rigging
(does not apply to pole work, or to use of a manlift or
high reach-type lift): 10% per hour additional.

Work with, or the removal of, asbestos materials: 114% times
the journeyman rate.
----------------------------------------------------------------

The total for each worker is the rate PLUS the fringes. For an electrician this would be $48.93 + (0.55 x $48.93) = $75.84. That's his total hourly rate. You can take credit for the pro-rated hourly value of fringes you already provide like vacation, sick days, personal days, tool allowances, company-paid insurance premiums, or anything else you offer that has monetary value. Whatever is left over goes in his pay check. When you price the labor, remember that whatever over head you usually have is still going to apply. If it costs you $30/hr to put a man on the road, add that to the $75.84, plus anything else you usually tack on. Our experience in our area is that you need to charge upwards of $150/hr to stay ahead of the extra wages and record keeping required. Notice too, that it's going to be much harder to cover a labor oops! with the markup on materials. Guessing wrong on prevailing wage labor hours is a fast track to the job from heck.

If you're the owner or a one-man band, you pay yourself the hourly rate if you're on the job.

Work performed off site isn't covered. If you assemble panels in the shop and ship them to the site, the shop work isn't covered. Unless it's HVAC duct work, then it is (I may be confusing this with NJ prevailing wage).

Keep careful track of what the men are actually doing on site. If they are doing clean up or housekeeping, that may mean a laborer's rate so you might see a cost savings there. Don't try to re-classify a job to a lower type; an electrician pulling cable is still an electrician, not a laborer.

Well, that should give you a few things to think about. If I think of more words of encouragement, I'll pass them along. ;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what electrician anywhere is paid $54 an hour plus fringes other than on one of these deals?

there is no place where anyone can convince me the typical wage for an electrician is $54/hour. that is > $112,000 per year.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
what electrician anywhere is paid $54 an hour plus fringes other than on one of these deals?

there is no place where anyone can convince me the typical wage for an electrician is $54/hour. that is > $112,000 per year.

If you do any work in a power plant in NJ, the state prevailing wage in Hudson County, say, would be (contract through 06/02/13):

Assistant General
Foreman
W56.27 B34.88 T91.15

Cable Splicer, Foreman
W54.37 B33.70 T88.07

General Foreman,
Journeyman on Radio
Tower Work
W58.18 B36.07 T94.25

Journeyman
W47.69 B29.56 T77.25

Layout Man
W51.98 B32.22 T84.20

My guys reeeeeeeealy like working at PSEG.

Davis-Bacon and state prevailing wage rates are usually based on whatever the local unions have negotiated with the various contractors in a specific geographical area. The decision on what's "prevailing" is somewhat self-serving. Somebody petitions the government with the claim that they represent the majority of the workers in a particular trade for an area and the rule-making body holds whatever hearings are required and after a suitable period of time, that "somebody" is setting the prevailing rate. Since unions are far better organized than non-union entities they usually wind up calling the shots. Now, if a bunch of "merit" shops got together and could prove that they, in fact, did most of the work in a particular area, then the weighted average of the wages and fringes they paid would be the prevailing rate. It usually means sharing a lot of information on wages that folks tend to think of as proprietary, so there's a very large psychological barrier to this kind of cooperation. It am what it am.

Status
Not open for further replies.