Conduit fill Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeno

I've got 1" EMT attached to the panel with appx 20 or so THHN 12 guage wires coming in. Inspector said that was "too many" and that I have to derate or remove some of the wires from the conduit.

Annex C of 2008 NEC shows I can have up to 26 12 AWG THHN conductors in a 1" EMT....BUT...table 310.15(B)(2)(a) states that I'd have to derate the conductors to 50% (this is assuming I actually have 20 conductors, I didn't count them yet.)

So how do I reconcile these two tables? And does this mean that if I were to have a 3" EMT with 4-6 conductors that I would STILL have to derate them to 80%??? :blink:

Can I show the inspector Annex C and say I'm ok? What if he shows ME table 310.15(B)(2)(a)?

Thanx for your help.

Zeno

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can fill the conduit with conductors to as many as is allow in Annex C however you would still have to derate. Say you need a 15 amp circuit and you have to derate to 50%. You can run #12 wire at 90C, which is good for 30 amps and derate 50%. This will leave you with a conductor rated 15 amps.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
So how do I reconcile these two tables?
By realizing that one is concerned with you damaging the wires by packing too much physically into a conduit, and the other is concerned with the heat from several conductors damaging each other thermally, after they've been safely installed in the pipe.

And does this mean that if I were to have a 3" EMT with 4-6 conductors that I would STILL have to derate them to 80%??? :blink:

Yes, and if you were to put 10 #12's in a 4" EMT you would also have to derate those to 15A as well.

You could put 443 #12's into a 4" EMT if you wanted to, but they would only be able to carry 10.8A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.