Em. Generator 10 second transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Does any one know when 700.12 10 second transfer for emergency generator was introduced.
I'm looking at replacing lighting(no em ballasts) in a store that was originally built in 1993 and just wondering if there is a chance the original genset isn't compliant.

ceb58

Does any one know when 700.12 10 second transfer for emergency generator was introduced.
I'm looking at replacing lighting(no em ballasts) in a store that was originally built in 1993 and just wondering if there is a chance the original genset isn't compliant.
What make this generator fall under Article 700? Probably a Article 702 install.

Occupation
Electrician
The emergency lighting is supplied by the generator,there are no battery packs.All life safety has to be brought up to current codes.The store was built in 1993,so I'm wondering is there any reason that the generator may not meet current standards.

ceb58

The emergency lighting is supplied by the generator,there are no battery packs.All life safety has to be brought up to current codes.The store was built in 1993,so I'm wondering is there any reason that the generator may not meet current standards.
At the time it may not have been deemed an emergency system or it was slipped in under the radar. Just make sure the ATS meets 700.5

templdl

It is too often forgot that a gen set can not anticipate an outage and doesn't start until there is one so that there is a inherent delay until it gets up to voltage and frequency. Also, when transferring back to normal the gen set must be in phase with the normal source or you end up tripping a breaker due to and out of phase transfer. As such there is usually a brief delay form the emergency source back to normal.
It's just the nature of the beast.
That's why they have battery powered emergancy lights to bridge the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.